586,345 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese 40w laser engraver

Hi all, need help from you old pro's, I bought one from ebay, and after 3 months of toing and froing with Moshisoft, finally got Windows 7 software downloaded. but the software comes up with error as DOOR OPEN/USB Cable, and it will go anywhere after that. I am in portsmouth UK, so if any "experts" are local ??????????? or any advice would help

As far as I am concerned, it will not work with windows 7. I had to switch to XP in order to get mine working correctly. Switch to XP and the machine will work.

Milt

Milt's right, Moshidraw isn't compatible with Win7, it's not the software, it's the card that won't work properly with win7.

best wishes

Dave

If it does not work with Win 7, why do they have a win 7 version of software, but perhaps that is the chinese for you, thanks for the reply will try it out

If you get too stuck GC, I'm only closeby in Enford (about a mile from Stonehenge) so a quick drop in if I'm passing by.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gcb View Post
    Hi all, need help from you old pro's, I bought one from ebay, and after 3 months of toing and froing with Moshisoft, finally got Windows 7 software downloaded. but the software comes up with error as DOOR OPEN/USB Cable, and it will go anywhere after that. I am in portsmouth UK, so if any "experts" are local ??????????? or any advice would help
    Hi gcb. Sorry, I can't help with your problem; rather I'm looking for some advise from you. I am considering buying a cheap £500 40W cutter from ebay with a view to replacing the electronics with a simple stepper controller board, and running the machine with LinuxCNC via the parallel port. Do you think that the mechanics and laser are good enough? i.e. If you repeat the same cut/engrave on a piece of work without moving it, does the second cut exactly repeat the path of the first cut? What thickness of material can you cut in a single pass? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Do you think that the mechanics and laser are good enough? i.e. If you repeat the same cut/engrave on a piece of work without moving it, does the second cut exactly repeat the path of the first cut? What thickness of material can you cut in a single pass? Thanks
    My K40 40W can cut 1/4" plywood in a single pass with the current set to 15mA. While I was playing around to find that level, I was able to repeat the same cut 7 times in the same place without any shifting that I could see. Despite what you'll see on some forums, the K40 is actually quite capable.

Quote Originally Posted by amramsey View Post
    My K40 40W can cut 1/4" plywood in a single pass with the current set to 15mA. While I was playing around to find that level, I was able to repeat the same cut 7 times in the same place without any shifting that I could see. Despite what you'll see on some forums, the K40 is actually quite capable.
    Many thanks amramsey.