586,423 active members*
3,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Another G0704 conversion - Hoss's plans - LinuxCNC control

Threaded View

Another G0704 conversion - Hoss's plans - LinuxCNC control

Hey just starting another G0704 conversion, I've got the mill, cleaned it up and put some holes in it in anticipation of CNCing with ball screws. I think we've all seen a G0704 unboxed so I won't go there.

I've got the mill together, and sitting on a HTC roller base, I'm not sure I love the base, kicking the wheels down lift the front up about two inches and really shifts the center of gravity, hopefully with some weight in the cabinet it will be ok.

I'm trying to get the column to base alignment tuned up, it's pretty horrible as delivered and needs some shimming. I think I'll be adding the set screws to the back of the column like Hoss did, to make this easier, and I may try and correct the column a bit next time I pull it off. This is a shot of the initial milling operations, on the Bridgeport at TCMaker's HackFactory where I'm working on my conversion. (And hold the flames, I'm aware this is not in the top 10 of best ways to secure the column to the BPs table) If you are in the Twin Cities (MN) area give a shout, we have an open house every Weds Night.

I plan to use my CNC Router to make the motor mount plates etc. I'll likely use the Bridgeport for any fine tolerance work.

It will be stepper motors and ball screws, nothing that hasn't been done numerous times before in the basic conversion.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill_on_base.jpg   Milling_Z_column.jpg