586,648 active members*
2,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: wtf?

Page 1 of 2 12

wtf?

New problem, whenever i hover the curser over the geometry it dissappears.
    not only is this happening in v-25 its now doing in in v23.
    Any ideas?

Sounds like a video driver issue.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It was all working yesterday. Checked for driver update and it says its up to date. I up dated the driver two days ago.

Maybe the new video driver is causing the issue?

Were you having this issue before the update two days ago?

Hth

Ac

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
    AC
    Has anyone seen my pillow?

wtf

Its only doing it with lines. Arcs work fine. I dont get it.

wtf?

Ok I rolled my whole computer back to the day before i download v-25. V23 seems to be working fine again. now do i dare reload v25? What would you guys do?

wtf

Reinstalled v25. Now it says im in demo mode. Predator quit back ploting in v23. i give up. For today anyway. Rolled computer back again and now v-23 is all working again. Somthing with 25 is %4^%ing up my computer.

Whenever I've had video card issues like this, once I get a good driver, I never update it again.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ger21. I rolled the computer back to before I updated the driver. Re installed v-25 and its seems to be working fine now. Bob cad said make sure your drivers are up to date before downloading v-25. I didnt think up dateing would hurt but it did!
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave,

I just experienced issues with Nvidia 64 bit driver versions 305.93 and 306.79
    for my quadro fx 5600.

I rolled it back to 297.03 to fix it.

If you have an Nvidia card, then either Nvidia has introduced a bug in their last couple drivers, or they have implemented a change that has broke some code in BobCad, that was ignored in the past.

Would you not recommend this then???If it ain't broke,don't fix it attitude,or are there also security related issues in these kind of updates that may be wise to update if connected to Internet??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails update.PNG  

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Would you not recommend this then???If it ain't broke,don't fix it attitude,or are there also security related issues in these kind of updates that may be wise to update if connected to Internet??
    The gforce and quadro are different cards. I ALWAYS use the latest build of the driver. This is the first time i have rolled off of it. But, changing video drivers and rolling around needs to be done properly, or can make things worse for everything. I'm not worried about doing it, but for alot, it is best to leave things alone that work.

I use the latest drivers because I am following applications that are utilizing them. At some point, I would be faced with a decision depending on 2 scenarios.

1. Nvidia has introduced a bug, that breaks perfecly good opengl code in BobCads display code, and it doesnt get recognized and fixed or it does get recognized and fixed.

2. Bobcad has broken code in it's display code and doesnt find it, or fixes that and it will work in the new Nvidia drivers in a later Bobcad release

Scenario 1. Either BobCad, (or several other developers) are hitting Nvidia right now with bug reports trying to track it down and get it fixed. A newer driver comes out and I can load that, bypassing the last 2 that fail and get back on track.

Scenario 2. Bobcad recognizes the bug in their display code and fixes it (And tells us in release notes) and I then move on to the newer drivers. Or BobCad doesnt look at their display code or make any changes, to which at some point, I would have to stop utilizing BobCad, or the other apps that require following the latest drivers.

For the most part, you will find it as a bug in Nvidia drivers, that is fixed in a future release. Unless you are a developer, or reporting the bug properly to Nvidia developers, you wont know this unless you keep loading each released driver, testing to see if the issue is fixed.

I would prefer BobCad had developer contact with Nvidia and the bug could be tracked down within either code, and the solution provided.

Working with a Quadro 1000m at home with latest driver and I do not experience that issue. The work computer has a GeForce 9500 with the latest driver and I do not experience that issue. The chances are good that it has something to do with the way the driver installed, potentially corrupting something related to graphics display in Windows. I would say it is safe to update the driver again. If you experience the same issue again, directly on the C-Drive you will see a folder called Nvidia. This folder contains every driver you have ever installed that you can go back and install from. I do not believe it is in reference to the driver or BobCAD because I am running two Nvidia cards with the latest update, both at home and at BobCAD.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Working with a Quadro 1000m at home with latest driver and I do not experience that issue.
    This would be a different driver than mine. I did full clean installs back, then back up again. I got a graphics related issue (with stl's only) starting at 2 releases ago.

Can you provide an STL model and the specific issue with the import.

Graphics driver updates are rarely security related. They are almost always performance, and primarily targeted at specific game improvements. Unless you have a reason to upgrade, you are unlikely to gain much after 6-12 months after your purchase the card. Graphics driver updates "never stop", as they common across huge ranges of cards - the older cards are on the list, but usually gain nothing from the newest updates.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Can you provide an STL model and the specific issue with the import.
    Hi SeanDa,
    For the issue I was experienceing, just a default sphere. Make a default sphere then save as STl and reopen it. It would shatter when highlighted or the viewport was rotated.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Graphics driver updates are rarely security related. They are almost always performance, and primarily targeted at specific game improvements. Unless you have a reason to upgrade, you are unlikely to gain much after 6-12 months after your purchase the card. Graphics driver updates "never stop", as they common across huge ranges of cards - the older cards are on the list, but usually gain nothing from the newest updates.
    You can review the release notes from the driver release of 3 versions ago here:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...ease-notes.pdf

There are fixes being made for bugs and performance.

As an update here, I re-installed the latest driver (This now has CUDA 5.0 support). I changed my base profile and had success.

You can start by selecting "3D App - Game Development" as a profile. This will essentially make your card a gforce card. The issue was not present.

I have success with 3D App- Visual Simulation and Workstation app- Dynamic Streaming. These prebuilt profiles will actually affect how your card works internally. The visual "feature settings" for each profile, do not change.

3D App - Visual Simulation
    Optimizes OpenGL pipeline for Viz SimApplications Good for applications
    wanting fixed fps –i.e. 60fpsNo Quad-buffered stereo support

Workstation Dynamic Streaming
    Applications using GSync Applications wanting fixed fps.
    Quad-buffered stereo suport

so now to use the 4th axis module users need to have a 500-2000 dollars graphics card depending on what your taste are and wallet...modern day GC installed in new computers in the last 4 years SHOULD be sufficient ...more than enough to run BOBCAD...

Nvidia and ATI are constantly updating and coming out with new GC to basically one up one another..but in the end..both (mid grade to high grade) are more than fine for CAD...
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post
    so now to use the 4th axis module users need to have a 500-2000 dollars graphics card depending on what your taste are and wallet...
    Why do you say that? Pretty sure it still works well on the gaming cards. I just pointed out that I can set my Quadro to operate as a gforce and everything works well.....

Something people can take away from this, is that "issues they have" can be related to things other than BobCad.

Page 1 of 2 12