586,426 active members*
3,282 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle orientation problem

Hey guys I have a Mori Frontier M1 and have been having troubles with the spindle orientation. It seems to be gradually advancing in the CCW direction. We had a service tech look at it and was told that the sensor was bad. We replaced that and it worked fine for a few weeks and then started again. We had another tech come out and we went through and checked everything that we could from the power source to the control and couldn't find anything electical out of spec. I'm now having to add an M01 to every tool change to be sure that the keyway is lining up on the toolholder and changing the parameter setting two or three times a day. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sensor ring itself may be coming loose. Problem with that is, it also captures the upper spindle bearing. Getting any weird chatter or finish problems/noise from the spindle? Could also be the sensor itself is not adjusted correctly, but that usually shows up in a wired whine from the spindle and orientation alarms.

If you do find its the sensor ring/nut, might as well put new drawbar springs in if you remove it. Hit me up, I can walk you through the procedure. Is a PIA, but not real hard.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Sensor ring itself may be coming loose. Problem with that is, it also captures the upper spindle bearing. Getting any weird chatter or finish problems/noise from the spindle? Could also be the sensor itself is not adjusted correctly, but that usually shows up in a wired whine from the spindle and orientation alarms.

If you do find its the sensor ring/nut, might as well put new drawbar springs in if you remove it. Hit me up, I can walk you through the procedure. Is a PIA, but not real hard.
    We did have an issue with the sensor ring when we replaced the sensor. The set screws came loose and a couple even came out which we never recovered from the housing. We replaced them and put blue loc-tite on them and they haven't moved since but I'm afraid the loose screws in the housing are giving the issue. We are planning to tear down the machine and check the sensor and ring and remove the loose set screws from the housing. You are absolutely correct about it being a PIA. Any helpful tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input. We'll let you know how it goes.

Those little set screws have copper under them. Hope it was still there or you replaced them, otherwise that spindle nut is going to be a B1tch to get off. Easiest way is to leave a tool in the spindle, that reduces the drawbar tension on that sensor nut, thats the only thing holding the drawbar in. If your going to do the drawbar, once the nut is off, put the unclamp cyl back on and eject the tool. At this point the drawbar will be pushing on the unclamp cyl. CAREFULLY unbolt the cyl, and it will pop up a bit. I have all thread with nuts when I do them to eliminate the pop.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Those little set screws have copper under them. Hope it was still there or you replaced them, otherwise that spindle nut is going to be a B1tch to get off. Easiest way is to leave a tool in the spindle, that reduces the drawbar tension on that sensor nut, thats the only thing holding the drawbar in. If your going to do the drawbar, once the nut is off, put the unclamp cyl back on and eject the tool. At this point the drawbar will be pushing on the unclamp cyl. CAREFULLY unbolt the cyl, and it will pop up a bit. I have all thread with nuts when I do them to eliminate the pop.
    This is very bad news for me. Our general maintenance guy is the one who replaced the screws and I'm sure he knew nothing about copper under them. Looks like we could be in for a lot of trouble. I guess that's what happens when the boss tries to save money and do repairs without a tech.

Ya, not good. Last one someone tried to "fix" themselves like that required a new sensor nut, new sensor ring and a new spindle.

Hey guys I'm bringing this one back to the top. We finally got around to tearing into this machine and the gap was good on the orientation sensor. I talked to a tech at Fanuc to see if there was a way to test the sensor other than putting the machine back together and seeing if it worked. He told me no but said he suspected that my problem was the "Spindle Aim". I'm not sure exactly what that is. He told me the part # should be printed on it and should start as 806B-6*** He also suggested that I adjust parameters #4038 and #4060 thru #4063 Is anyone familiar with these things and could maybe help guide me through this? Thanks in advance.

Spindle aim? Never seen anything like that. As far as I've ever seen on Mv40B/frontier2 is the sensor /ring.