586,500 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Router for rough cut wood slabs

Open Source CNC Router for rough cut wood slabs

I am attempting to build a 8'x4' CNC router specifically designed for rough cut wood slabs. I have launched the project on kickstarter.com. Any feedback, positive and negative is welcome and needed. Support is always welcome!

Here is the link:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...h-woo?ref=live

Thanks

Why 4'x 8'? That's a common size in CNC routers because sheet goods come that size (in the US, anyway) but it has little to do with the size of rough wood slabs, which are hardly ever that wide, but often much longer.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

reason for the size

Most of the slabs that I have been working with have been 8-10 foot (I have a portable sawmill). I routinely have slabs 45 inch wide. I am going to a try a spaced 2x4 wood top to allow for forklift loading (an oak slab 45 inch wide, 2 inch thick, and 8 foot long will be approx 300-400lbs).

What makes your design different that current open source (cnc router parts) or others? The kickstarter page didn't say much about the actual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    What makes your design different that current open source (cnc router parts) or others? The kickstarter page didn't say much about the actual machine.
    The table top will be spaced 2x4's that will allow for material attachment and also serve as sacrificial material. It will allow for large slabs to be loaded via forklift. The gantry, actuator, and rails will be very similar to other open source designs. The video that will be made during the project will show every step in the construction.

Video on kickstarter says that you're just going to buy rails and gantry as to not reinvent the wheel. I think the uphill battle is selling the world on the virtue of paying $10,000 for just a table that has channels to hold removable bits of wood. Given that you're buying the gantry and rails, you wont be able to pass that along as part of the open source design...