586,453 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Colombo 2.2 Spindle vs. Chinese vs. router
Page 1 of 2 12

Colombo 2.2 Spindle vs. Chinese vs. router

I am seriously considering buying a Colombo spindle and Delta VFD for my CNC build. I can get a new Colombo RS 73/2 2.2Kw spindle with electric fan for $1450. The #1 reason I want a spindle instead of a standard router is for less noise.

I will be using it for wood, plastic, foam, and some light aluminum milling.

Any advice or recommendations considering the price differences?

This spindle has Dual angular lower bearings And ER25Collet chuck.

I find that the cutting tool generally makes as much, if not more noise than my router, especially at less than max rpm. Personally, I'd get a router and Super PID, and then approach sound dampening of the shop/garage with a $1000 budget in mind.

Just my 2 cents

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by lx007 View Post
    I am seriously considering buying a Colombo spindle and Delta VFD for my CNC build. I can get a new Colombo RS 73/2 2.2Kw spindle with electric fan for $1450. The #1 reason I want a spindle instead of a standard router is for less noise.

I will be using it for wood, plastic, foam, and some light aluminum milling.

Any advice or recommendations considering the price differences?

This spindle has Dual angular lower bearings And ER25Collet chuck.
    As far as build quality comparing a Colombo spindle to a Chinese import is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda. That said there are many Chinese spindles here that perform well for their owners. Though, that looks like an incredible deal for a 3HP Colombo spindle.

If you can afford it the Columbo is a better spindle. I do not know how much better as I do not have one, but the basic design is better. I have smoked a fair number of bearings in wood routers using them for high speed machining aluminum. I think I have damaged 6 or 7 beyond repair in the last two years. At an average cost of 100-150 you do the math. If you can run the Columbo with minimal repair time you would be money ahead pretty quickly.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

2.2kw water coled chinese spindles are $310 each.
    What do you think will last longer, the 5 chinese spindles or the Colombo? And when you need to have the Colombo rebuilt, it'll probably be at least $1000.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What do you think will last longer, the 5 chinese spindles or the Colombo? And when you need to have the Colombo rebuilt, it'll probably be at least $1000.
    All of the replies are good food for thought and much appreciated, Gerry's is spot on what I was tossing around when I posted this thread. I can get the Colombo pricing whenever I want, so I may start with a Delta VFD and Chinese Spindle and do comparisons to a router with Super-PID (which I already ordered a week ago with their 15% off special).

I could then either keep everything, or sell either the router/Super-PID -or- spindle/vfd.

I defintely agree. One could even upgrade the spindle bearings in the Chinese spindle if he so chooses as well.

I'm also wanting to compare the performance of a SuperPid controlled router to a Chinese VFD spindle.
    I know the VFD spindle is better, but a comparison would be nice nevertheless.

Check the web, the cheap colombo's and Hsd's are throw aways they cost more to repair than replace.. I have 2 air cooled 3 kw chinese spindles bought one 2 years ago then got worried as to all the bad press and bought a spare, its unused
    and I have abused the one on the machine, running at 2400 rpm drilling aluminum
    it doesn't even get warm. just sayin....I have a worn out 4 year old hsd that will cost more than 2 china spindles to repair.

You might want to look at Teknomotor spindles. American spindles in NY sells them. From what i have seen, 2.2 china spindle don't even compare to a 1HP teckno spindle
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    You might want to look at Teknomotor spindles. American spindles in NY sells them. From what i have seen, 2.2 china spindle don't even compare to a 1HP teckno spindle
    Do you have the URL or contact info for American Spindle? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lx007 View Post
    Do you have the URL or contact info for American Spindle? Thanks.
    The only person in the US selling them is selling them out of their house and Teknomotor doesn't even have them in the right state (they are in NJ, not NY). A bit concerning.

Here is their information:

American Spindle Technology
    39 Morris Street Bridgewater
    New Jersey 08807 2615
    Tel. +908 812 2100
    Fax +908 231 1852
    [email protected]

Yes they are Italian made. The person in the states mostly only sells OEM. They are on visions cnc and a lot of other OEM machines . I have sold lots of them and has never been a problem and lots about Teknomotor on cnczone
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I defintely agree. One could even upgrade the spindle bearings in the Chinese spindle if he so chooses as well.
    Has any1 attempted this? What would be cost for the bearings?

I tried the search with no luck.

Good bearings will cost more than the spindles themselves.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Good bearings will cost more than the spindles themselves.
    True, though even total probably still a bit cheaper than the Colombo. But then this would be an argument for the Colombo spindle... You get what you pay for. But it's only as good as the machine you move it with.

Came across this very informative post. I priced new NSK bearings and ends up to be cheaper than a new 3kw spindle.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...indle+bearings

The Colombo ! But get the shaft fan as the electric fan can give problems. No comparison in cut quality.
    I've been selling a lot of Tecknomotor spindles and they seem to hold up well. They have an ER20 collet, instead of the ER25 on the colombo.

The chinese are ok for hobby use, but try running them at 24000 rpm all day long and see how long they last. Just like the chinese turbos, they blow up !

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    . From what i have seen, 2.2 china spindle don't even compare to a 1HP teckno spindle
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm not doubting you, but why do you think the 1HP teckno is better than the 2.2 kw Chineese spindle?

Page 1 of 2 12