586,308 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

126 Gear Fault Alarm

As of late, I have been experiencing an extreme number of 126 Gear Fault Alarms on my 2011 Haas VF-2. It's alarming out in the most random places, usually when the spindle has been turning at a constant RPM for a significant amount of time. This makes no sense to me. I found one thread on here that said something about giving the gearbox solenoid a little shot of WD40, but that hasn't seemed to cure anything. I manually shifted it from high to low and low to high a bunch of times, thinking maybe it just needed cycled a little bit. No success there either.

Got any ideas guys? I put in a service ticket with my HFO, but hopefully I can find a quicker fix!

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by super95awd View Post
    As of late, I have been experiencing an extreme number of 126 Gear Fault Alarms on my 2011 Haas VF-2. It's alarming out in the most random places, usually when the spindle has been turning at a constant RPM for a significant amount of time. This makes no sense to me. I found one thread on here that said something about giving the gearbox solenoid a little shot of WD40, but that hasn't seemed to cure anything. I manually shifted it from high to low and low to high a bunch of times, thinking maybe it just needed cycled a little bit. No success there either.

Got any ideas guys? I put in a service ticket with my HFO, but hopefully I can find a quicker fix!

Thanks in advance!
    Is it still in warranty? If so, then let the dealer fix it so you do not void anything. If not, how far out is it? Sometimes the dealer and Haas will work with you on issues if it only out by a few months. It is a case by case basis, so it is worth asking. Again, I would not do anything until you find out for sure if they will help out.

As to your problem though, there are two orifices for the air lines that go to the gearbox, one for high, one for low. These orifices have a very small opening for air to go through so they can become clogged, but I have also heard that they could benefit from being opened up by a few thou to give them more flow.

Good luck!

FYI...never use WD-40 in a solenoid. It leaves behind sticky gunk that will always cause you troubles down the road. Use very light oil instead to lube your solenoid.

Good to know! Thanks.

Service tech will be here Tuesday. They said the most common cause of this on the newer machines is a loose wire in one of the connectors behind the spindle. I guess we'll see what they say! Hopefully it cooperates a bit with me this evening so I can get some parts done.