586,766 active members*
8,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extension Cord

I need a extension cord for my new welder. Where I need to work, and where my 220v is a ways away.

My welder suggest a 40A 220v breaker, and suggestions on buying building a extension cord about 50 feet?

Can it be done...?
    Donald

You can try and get 3 conductor generically know as 'Cab-tire' rubber covered flexible cord. You will need at least #6 for 40a at that distance.
    The alternative is to run 3/4" liquid seal conduit wired with individual conductor #6 up to the welder outlet and plug the welder in there.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

#4 - 3-SO cord would be overkill but if you upgrade later it might nice and you could go a little longer that way without fear of overloading. most 220v recp. are only rated 50amp. The biger size might not be that much more but with all the natural disaster's this year we all know what has happened to the price of building materials,
    Good luck Kevin

Donald
    Sure it can be done. The previous suggestions are both good.
    You might save the cost of the male & female connectors by just wiring in the suitable sized 50 feet of cable in place of your existing shorter 220V input.
    This is if your present cap/plug is not molded to the cable as some newer units are.
    WT

#4 - 3-SO cord would be overkill but if you upgrade later it might nice and you could go a little longer that way without fear of overloading. most 220v recp. are only rated 50amp. The biger size might not be that much more but with all the natural disaster's this year we all know what has happened to the price of building materials,
    Good luck Kevin