587,030 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Shipping crate for the Torus PRO

Exclamation Shipping crate for the Torus PRO

We have been kicking around the idea of changing the packaging of the Torus PRO to a single crate. As many have seen from the recent posts the assembly of the machine may have different advantages from a 3 crate system to a single crate delivery.

Obviously, with the single crate, all that is needed is to open the crate and transfer it to the floor. Seems simple but it might exceed the weight limits of a tailgate delivery service if needed. The biggest advantage will be the Torus PRO will be totally assembled and tested except for the coolant wings that will have to be user installed. Garage door heights might also be an issue for garage shops. The bed mill with pallet should be about 7.2 feet.

Are there any customer preferences/opinions that can be shared to help make a good informed decision if we should change this?

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Single crate would save quite a bit of time, but at what cost?

1. Not sure if single crate would fit in a normal garage door.
    2. Extra shipping costs due to oversize package?
    3. I like knowing all of the bolts installed were torqued/locktite'd by me

My vote would be keep it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    Single crate would save quite a bit of time, but at what cost?

1. Not sure if single crate would fit in a normal garage door.
    2. Extra shipping due to oversize package?
    3. I like knowing all of the bolts installed were torque/locktite'd my me

My vote would be keep it like it is.
    I had to struggle putting mill on the stand (rest of the assembly is easy) and would have loved to just open the box and machine is ready. Beside risk with the mill weight, keeping the mill level in air, crane inappropriate design my biggest issue was stand, chip tray, spacer and mill hole alignment. I am physically challenged and perhaps a normal user will not struggle as much as I did. Bottom line ... I will love to have an option of single crate and I will pay for additional cost of shipping. No complains though ... enjoying the assembly process.

After picking up my mill with a truck with a power tailgate I wouldn't want to try it with the mills center of gravity raised that much higher in a single crate. Unless you are on perfectly level ground it would be spooky. The other problem would be finding a rental engine hoist with the capacity and reach to lift the mill with the stand attached high enough to seperate them and install the feet. I had no luck finding a rental so ended up buying a gantry crane from Princess Auto. I'm also not sure I'd want to have that much weight swinging while i installed the feet.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayoung View Post
    After picking up my mill with a truck with a power tailgate I wouldn't want to try it with the mills center of gravity raised that much higher in a single crate. Unless you are on perfectly level ground it would be spooky. The other problem would be finding a rental engine hoist with the capacity and reach to lift the mill with the stand attached high enough to seperate them and install the feet. I had no luck finding a rental so ended up buying a gantry crane from Princess Auto. I'm also not sure I'd want to have that much weight swinging while i installed the feet.

Ray
    I think I installed the feet same way as you did but if I have to do it again, I will first lower the stand on temp wooden support (4 inch high will work), install the feet and then remove the support. If not enough scrap wood around supporting five legs at a time and working one leg foot will work too.

Novakon,
    Not sure how practical it would be but your customers do differ in background and hence comfort level. If you can provide different options (for fee of course) it may increase your customer base. My initial plan was to take machines to basement and would have loved to get smaller parts and then get some help at my end to put it together. Changed the plan immidiately after seeing the crate size.

I think you are better off sticking with what you have, as others have mentioned shipping and dealing with a high centre of gravity load is a whole other ball game. Also your stand is undoubtedly engineered for a static load and there may be times in transit where those loads are exceeded say the truck hits a big pothole or drives up a curb etc.... I am sure this wouldn't be an issue 99% of the time, but that 1% will really ruin your day.

bob

Two cents

I vote for the option to get an assembled & tested machine.

Most US commercial truck companies have lift gates that can handle ¾ and 1 ton loads. The key is how the crating is done.

When I did rigging at US Steel, (I know :violin we shipped machines around the country. We used plywood for a jig, screwed it to the crate and filled the space with blown Styrofoam. It could be shipped on its side or upside down (to keep center of gravity low). The machines were locked in tight. To Bob's point, dynamic loads on the stand become minimal

Standing up the crate is not as hard as some may think. With simple wood bracing, appropriate rated rope, 2 block pulleys and a trailer winch (~$40 altogether), 2 guys did a controlled lift (not dropping it when the COG hit the arc apex) in about 5 minutes. That is one method. There are several other ways you can find in a rigger’s handbook.

I left out lots of details, but that is why you get instruction books. The point is, it can be done and made doable for a lot of customers.

That type of crating could be moved into basements (assuming a straight shot) and garages, as well as small shops. And if you need help, a machine rigger can get you the best answer for your situation.

For the three part fans, you go through a lot of effort to put your machines together. And you may be spending more to do it than the single crate method. Or maybe it’s that deep down feeling to tinker.

:cheers:

What about Table Height

These are all great responses...thank you for your information.

We have had another thought of making the stand shorter. A few customers have indicated that the working area might be too high from the ground. It would not be very difficult to lower the stand up to 6 inches possibly. I am tall and don't have any problem using it at this height or even lower if needed.

Lowering it might assist others in the use of the machine. Do the NM-200 users have any preference to the height being changed?

Regards,

Novakon Team

i see current stand height appropriate for me (6 ft tall). There is enough space to work on coolant piping and wiring inside the stand for set up, not sure how much I will have to work in that area once machine is working but good to have space there just in case. It will be little tight if 6 inch goes away from coolant space. If I remember it correctly, your stand wights about 100 lb less then your competitor and your machine is bigger then your competitor, is there any structural issues you have to worry about? Even with all these concerns I will take smaller stand if there is an option of getting an assembled machine (not sure how many of your customer are like me, without much experience working in this environment).

Will 6 inch really make the difference and is it worth making the design change? Bringing the mass close to ground will reduce the chance of crate tilting or rolling but not sure how much difference 6 inch will make. My machine is assembled and garage door is standard, I think machine can pass through standard garage door.

Good that you are thinking about future enhancements. I know atc is expensive but I may be interested if price is right. I know I will definitely be interested if there is power draw bar available for Torus Pro. Do you want to share any progress here?

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    These are all great responses...thank you for your information.

We have had another thought of making the stand shorter. A few customers have indicated that the working area might be too high from the ground. It would not be very difficult to lower the stand up to 6 inches possibly. I am tall and don't have any problem using it at this height or even lower if needed.

Lowering it might assist others in the use of the machine. Do the NM-200 users have any preference to the height being changed?

Regards,

Novakon Team

Being a short guy, I would love to see the stand height reduced. Not sure I could afford to lose 6" but 3" would be benifical. Let me verify with some lady friends.

John

I would have preferred a stand that's wide enough to allow a pallet jack to enter from the front, as it's easier to maneuver that way.

My house garage opening is 7' tall, and I think that's fairly standard in a lot of the US. Reducing the stand height might be enough to allow a single crate to pass.

Width of Stand

I agree!

The width of the stand is not spaced for pallet Jack entry directly from the front. I have to move my machine from the side or it also can be reached from a 45 degree angle from the front which makes it workable to pull it away from the wall.

This is a very good point.

Thanks,
    Novakon Team