586,123 active members*
3,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Setting up LCTHC from candcnc.com - a few questions about install

Setting up LCTHC from candcnc.com - a few questions about install

I just purchased a plasma table from a private party that builds them. It came with everything ready to go, PC, motors table controller, everything.

The seller said that I need a THC for the unit. I will be running a brand new Miller Spectrum 625 X-TREME. I bought the LCTHC and AC side Current Transformer for the 'arc ok' signal.

I just got everything in the mail today and started reading though the install guide and I have some questions. There are some gaps in the install guide (or maybe I missed them) but I can't figure out the following:

1) How does the LCTHC connect to the computer?
    2) What wires go though the center of the ‘arc ok’ current transformer?
    3) Does anyone have a simple diagram laying out how everything is suppose to be connected all in one diagram?

I am pretty good with wiring and can read a technical diagram pretty good, but the install instruction with this THC is pretty difficult to understand. Please help.

Part 1.
    After re-reading the instruction about 10 times, I think I figure out most of part 1. (connecting the arc on board) to the plasma cutter. I'm still not sure what goes though the center of the transformer...

LMK if this looks right and what is suppose to go though the center if you know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-10-07 at 10.24.02 PM.jpg  

One wire of your AC power feed to the plasma cutter goes through the transformer. I had to loop the wire several times through the center before I got it to work. I mounted the transformer in a switch box with a 50Amp plug mounted next to it for the cutter to plug into (see photo). The small black leads at the top go to the sensor card. I did it this way so I could just unplug the cutter and use it out of the shop (it would run on either 110 or 220).

I changed to a Hypertherm 65 so I don't use it anymore but it worked fine with the old cutter.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02078.JPG  

Thanks Willy,

I had a assumption that was what it was. Still trying to figure out a few more things. Like how to connect the LCTHC to the main controller board.

I was just looking at my transformer, and mine does not have the white thing at the top. Should I have that?

The "white thing" is a 15 OHM, 10 W resistor. I would contact Tom at CAndCNC is you don't have it.

It connects across the transformer terminals where the lead to the sensor board connect.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by flyinwilly View Post
    The "white thing" is a 15 OHM, 10 W resistor. I would contact Tom at CAndCNC is you don't have it.

It connects across the transformer terminals where the lead to the sensor board connect.

Willy
    Contacted him via email and still have not heard anything back. I might just run up to Vetco and get one. I'm know they will have them.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinwilly View Post
    One wire of your AC power feed to the plasma cutter goes through the transformer. I had to loop the wire several times through the center before I got it to work. I mounted the transformer in a switch box with a 50Amp plug mounted next to it for the cutter to plug into (see photo). The small black leads at the top go to the sensor card. I did it this way so I could just unplug the cutter and use it out of the shop (it would run on either 110 or 220).

I changed to a Hypertherm 65 so I don't use it anymore but it worked fine with the old cutter.

Willy
    My Miller plasma cutter has 3 wires into the machine, black white and green. Did you connect it to the black or white power wire and does it matter if is before or after the on off switch?

So far so good. Not the best looking box, but it will work. I have an additional plastic j-box adjacent to the back of the one in the photo for the transformer. Just need to figure out what wires I need to tap into on the plasma cutter for the trigger, how I'm going to mount this box and figure out how the wires will go inside the Miller. What the diagram says on the inside of my Miller, it should be the orange and red wires that go to the cutting torch. :x-fingers:

Quote Originally Posted by MeisterWerks View Post
    Thanks Willy,

I had a assumption that was what it was. Still trying to figure out a few more things. Like how to connect the LCTHC to the main controller board.
    What Main Controller Board? Interconnect is covered in great detail about the interface to a typical BoB used with PC based CNC systems. Did you build the controller? Does it have inputs and are they opto isolated? The LCTHC is not a plug-n-run product and is designed for builders and hobby guys that have some background in the workings of CNC used with MACH3 (i.e. you have built the controls) We have a decision chart (linked on the LCTCH product page) that tries to focus the buyer on the level of experience recommended. The manual is pretty intense for a beginner in CNC. There is no step by step install because there is no two interfaces exactly alike.

TOMcaudle
    www.candcnc.com

I should have read your earlier post. Your "seller" just threw a dead cat over your fence for you to deal with. With no detail of what he put in the "controller" or what it is, this can be anything from really easy to virtually impossible. The LCTHC does not come with support for connecting to other interface controls. A lot of the lower cost tables use really hard to interface to Chinese motor driver boards. If this "seller" builds plasma tables and tells you that you need a THC, than he should be able to help you get it hooked up and working. It ties back to the PC through the parallel port but getting to and understanding the signals is not trivial if you are hunting in the dark. One of the favorite tricks of the lower end table builders is to make sure they don't involve themselves in anything that requires support time.

We sell a lot of THC's but the LCTHC line was developed for the DIY builder. We in fact do not sell that product to OEM's (resellers and table builders for profit) because we know the level of support involved in doing viable Torch Height Control.

Bottom line: If a seller tells you you "need" something to make it work right then ask them why they don't sell and support it. I understand you don't have a lot of money tied up in this project (yet) but nothing is a good deal if you can't make it work!

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com