586,488 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Info on radial tapping HAAS ST20 SSY

Info on radial tapping HAAS ST20 SSY

I have an HAAS ST20 SSY I can tap axial but when I try to tap radial the tap breaks every time. I have talked to my HAAS dealer as well as HAAS applications and they can`t tell me whats wrong?? Is there anyone on here who can shed some light on this issue?

You are the man at the machine. Why is the tap breaking? Is the RPM and feed matched to the tap? Are you drilling the correct hole size before tapping? What is the minor diameter of the thread after tapping?

Quote Originally Posted by WESCO View Post
    I have an HAAS ST20 SSY I can tap axial but when I try to tap radial the tap breaks every time. I have talked to my HAAS dealer as well as HAAS applications and they can`t tell me whats wrong?? Is there anyone on here who can shed some light on this issue?
    You need to provide much more detail of what is going on.

What have you tried?
    What have you checked?
    How are you doing it?
    Etc.
    Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    You are the man at the machine. Why is the tap breaking? Is the RPM and feed matched to the tap? Are you drilling the correct hole size before tapping? What is the minor diameter of the thread after tapping?
    Yes I am the man at the machine, I don`t know why the tap is breaking? that's what I`m asking! Yes the feed and speed are correct. I have used high spiral and form taps both with the correct size tap drill. I can`t measure the minor diameter of the thread after tapping because, as I said the tap breaks in the hole!

Yes I am the man at the machine, I don`t know why the tap is breaking? that's what I`m asking! Yes the feed and speed are correct. I have used high spiral and form taps both with the correct size tap drill. I can`t measure the minor diameter of the thread after tapping because, as I said the tap breaks in the hole!
    Even if a cutting tap breaks, you should be able to get the ID points of a caliper into the hole between the flutes to measure.

What happens on other tap sizes? What happens when you purposely drill the starting hole oversize? How did you check speed and feed (other than what numbers you have in the program)? Have you tried peck tapping? Are you sure rotation direction is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    You need to provide much more detail of what is going on.

What have you tried?
    What have you checked?
    How are you doing it?
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Sorry I realize my question was quite vague. I am using Mastercam to program this machine. As far as proper machining IE; speeds, feeds, tap drill sizes there is no problem every thing is correct. I`m thinking it is a parameter setting or a plane issue, maybe even a setup issue? Not sure if you are familiar with this specific machine (HAAS ST-20 SSY) we have had a lot of problems with the "post processor" What I am really looking for is someone with or knowledge of this machine, it seems to be rare? I have talked to our HAAS distributor and a few different HAAS application techs with absolutely no resolve. I`m trying this site in hopes I can get any kind of help. The live tooling on this machine is driven by a coupler which seems to have a lot of "play" in it. It seems to start to retract out of the hole before it reverses the direction of the tap. Mind you it is very quick and hard to see for certain. Any help at all would be great.

If you think the code is at fault, post it here so someone can verify it. Are you using a rigid tap holder, or floating? Did you program a dwell at the bottom of the tapping motion? How many degrees of "play" does the gear drive seem to have? There are still about 100 more questions that can be asked.

(TOOL - 3 OFFSET - 3)
    ( NO. 10-24 TAPRH)
    (RADIAL TAP)
    N18 T0303
    G28 U0.
    G28 W0.
    G19 G99
    G0 C180.
    M14
    G04 P0.5
    G0 Z.2 M8
    G0 X5.03
    G0 X5.03 Z.2
    G97 P600 M133
    G04 P0.5
    G98
    G195 X4.23 F.0417
    G80
    M9
    M15
    G28 U0. Y0. M135
    G28 W0.
    M30
    %
    This actually code from one of our programs, the tap breaks with this code.
    The G98 before the G195 gets posted not sure why? but I have removed it I have also changed it to a G99 with no affect at all. The live tooling head has a ratio of 1:1 I thought maybe that might be an issue but can`t see how?

If you think the code is at fault, post it here so someone can verify it. Are you using a rigid tap holder, or floating? Did you program a dwell at the bottom of the tapping motion? How many degrees of "play" does the gear drive seem to have? There are still about 100 more questions that can be asked.
    I am using a rigid tap holder( there is no room for a tapping head) The drive teeth have about 15 degrees between them.

(TOOL - 11 OFFSET - 11)
    ( NO. 6-32 TAPRH)
    (HAAS_ST20_SSYAXIS WITH LIVE TOOLING)
    (MACHINE GROUP-2)
    (TAP 6-32 FACE HOLES)
    N10 T1111
    G28 U0.
    G28 W0.
    G18 G99
    G0 C75.587
    G04 P0.5
    G0 Z.1 M8
    G0 X4.2745
    G0 X4.2745 Z.1
    G97 P600 M133
    G04 P0.5
    G98
    G95 Z-.4 R.1 F.0313
    C104.413
    C195.587
    C224.413
    C315.587
    C344.413
    G80
    M9
    G28 U0. Y0. M135
    G28 W0.
    M01

This is code from the same program for axial tapping and this works fine.

G98 should be Inches Per Minute. G99 should be Inches Per Revolution. For your example, you need to be in G99 mode.

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see Y axis positioning before tapping.

15 degrees seems like a lot. Can you disassemble the drive and shim the gears tighter?

Never mind

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Never mind
    So you cannot help??

G98 should be Inches Per Minute. G99 should be Inches Per Revolution. For your example, you need to be in G99 mode.

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see Y axis positioning before tapping.

15 degrees seems like a lot. Can you disassemble the drive and shim the gears tighter?
    The "Y" axis is not used because tapped hole is on "Y 0.0"
    I misunderstood what you were asking. there is maybe .5 of a deg play between the gears in the live tooling head. the teeth on the coupler where it connects to the drive from the motor has 15 or so degrees of play. It is using G99 inch per rev. the G98 prior to the G195 Has no affect. i have removed it from the program I only left it in to show you how it was posting.

So you cannot help??
    I initially made a comment about the program but realized that I was in error. It has been quite some time since I have programmed the live tooling and I don't have the time at the moment to disect things.

Look in the manual regarding how to program a radial tap and compare what it has vs what you are doing. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from the Haas website.