586,399 active members*
3,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a new CAM solution

I am a Solidworks user, and have been using HSMWorks for 2 years. As of yesterday Autodesk purchased HSMWorks...for now they are saying they are going to support the Solidworks platform, but I have my reserves about that....

So - I am looking to go with another CAM package - 2.5D, possibly 3D. I was happy with HSMWorks, unfortunately I am no longer happy with them because of selling out to Autodesk.

SolidCAM looks nice. I have to download the demo and see what its about...

I wanted to ask here - if you were to do it all over again, would you purchase SolidCAM again or would you recommend it even?

I am a bit apprehensive to purchase another integrated CAM package because of how things went down with HSMWorks... Seriously considering a seat of MasterCAM Mill1 or 2....but I really prefer to have an integrated solution...

Any advice would be great. Thanks! :cheers:

Been a SolidCAM user for eight years and for what we do, it was the right decision.

For the type of work you describe I would look at SolidCAM Express or OneCNC, especially if your machines have Fanuc controls. MasterCAM is a good package but if you only program parts that have been modelled in SolidWorks (as opposed to imported from say IGES or STEP), then the SolidCAM / SolidWorks bundle is very good value.

I can't imagine Autodesk will stop supporting HSM for Solidworks. They'd have to be nuts to do that. Ok Ok, anything is possible but I'd wait a while before I dumped HSM unless you're really not happy with it anyway.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Solidcam every time

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWilkins View Post
    I can't imagine Autodesk will stop supporting HSM for Solidworks. They'd have to be nuts to do that. Ok Ok, anything is possible but I'd wait a while before I dumped HSM unless you're really not happy with it anyway.

Well I can only hope this is the case. Time will tell. I am not going to dump HSM at the moment, but am starting to investigate other options in the event that Autodesk decides to stop supporting it. I was/am extremely happy with HSMWorks (well the software, not so much the company)...so I really hope it stays running w/ Solidworks well into the future...at some point maybe, just maybe, Solidworks will purchase a CAM package to call their own...

While you're looking around, you might check out VisualMill for Solidworks. It plugs into the Solidworks workspace, which makes it easier to use than a standalone program, since you don't have to keep switching from one to the other. It comes in a base version which is quite reasonably priced but supports 2.5d and full 3d operations, in a Pro version with lots of high-end features including 4-axis machining, and a 5-axis version as well.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    While you're looking around, you might check out VisualMill for Solidworks. It plugs into the Solidworks workspace, which makes it easier to use than a standalone program, since you don't have to keep switching from one to the other. It comes in a base version which is quite reasonably priced but supports 2.5d and full 3d operations, in a Pro version with lots of high-end features including 4-axis machining, and a 5-axis version as well.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    +1 for VisualMill. Very quick and easy to use.