586,701 active members*
2,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To any Weike owners:

New registrant here but have read many, many good posts about the Weike units. I have a couple questions though:

1. What made you choose an engraver/cutter over just an engraver ? Just that the engravers alone are cheaper? Do engravers limit a person to what they can do that much?

2. All the descriptions say "Applicable materials: ... and other nonmetal materials." - but they can mark (engrave??) stainless steel with the Cemark or similar additives?

I'm shopping around for a home unit that I would use to mark (without wearing off) small stainless items mainly. Not a business but maybe something more as a hobby and if I can pay for operating it great.

Not sure yet the differences between the different Weike models. Was hoping for a combined data sheet with all the models and their specs so I could easily see the differences.

Would also like to touch base with any other Canadians who have imported one and find out any do's or don'ts.

Thanks for reading,

Bradner

Just about all lasers you are considering can do engraving and cutting , the best compromise power doing both well is 60-80w.
    The problem you face is that the cheap 40w 12" x 20" hobby type desktop lasers in the $1-2k range are utter crap.
    The total spend for a decent machine from any company will be round the $4-5k mark inclkuding shipping , depending on size and the package you want.

Ask G Weike to quote you on a 60w or 80w RECI tubed 500 x 700 machine , thats a great starter machine re size and power IMO
    You can also read this thread on this board for a lot more info..
    Chinese/Shenui/Laserworks tips and tricks thread
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Hurricane21 Guest

For your consideration

Wetcoast,

Please consider HurricaneLasers.com for your Wieke machine. We carry their brand exclusively but offer US service & support. I would recommend at least an 80W machine to mark stainless permanently unless you will be using a marking agent such as Cermark.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John
    Hurricane Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
    Would also like to touch base with any other Canadians who have imported one and find out any do's or don'ts.
    Bradner

I also am new to the forum & from Vancouver... Lots of good knowledge to absorb here... A few thoughts.

My broker says no duty but probably several hundred$ required to clear customs & the GST.

Try contacting Engravers express (Canadian Epilog dealer) & get a demo...you get something to compare against? They make very nice units but price can be an issue.

Most of the Cinese machines seem to be a size/laser power issue... Many seem to have gone with the upgraded Reci tubes from china, but more expensive.

Lastly pay attention to the controller card.. Hurricane laser is developing with cadlink a new driver with perhaps better software integration ....maybe helpful (I am not associated with them) I am looking at this for when mine arrives (being built).

Oh spend time reading the archives here if you haven't.

Hope that helps.. Bob

Hi, Wetcoast,

Thank you for your attention to Weike Brand. We are not the cheapest Chinese laser machines manufacturer, but our machines have very high cost performance.

60W will be a good choice for you. Common Co2 laser are for non metal, but can engrave the metal with Metallic Paint. Of cause if you can accept the price, you can choose a metal marker. Those will be more professional.

I have lots of Canadian customers, if you need advice from them, please kindly let me know.

Melody
    [email protected]

thanks everyone for the input - I've spent HOURS reading so far in forums. Thanks for the replies and information! This is a great forum.

Hurricane21 Guest

Oh Canada!

Hey guys,

yes from our experience it costs several hundred $$ depending on the invoice amount of the shipment. We use Fedex to deliver them. I can with some of our customers as to the exact amounts it cost them last time.

John
    Hurricane Lasers

I agree with Rodney.

You will be surpised how many other things you may want to do with the laser. Get as much wattage as you can afford.