586,700 active members*
2,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm 65, no plug with it

I got my new cnc plasma system home this week and got it all assembled. I wired the cnc control plug into the plasma cutter per the instructions on the video from Plasma cam. So far so good.

I wired up a plug for my new 240 volt air compressor. It runs fine.

I went to see what type of outlet I would need for the plasma cutter and it is a no go. No plug at all. This sucks.

I have several 240V plugs in my home shop and normally just wire a new one in for any new tools that I get. I hoped to get lucky and have one that would fit the new cutter.

The wire hanging out of the machine has a red, green, black and white. My 240 breaker box in the shop has two hots and a ground.

I need to know what color hooks to what in the breaker box. I think I will wire it right onto a breaker instead of buying both the plug and outlet.

The confusion is this 4 wire cord looks like my 3 phase stuff at my machine shop. If it were a black, white and green it would be no problem.

I hoped to do some test cuts this weekend and almost got there. The lack of a crappy plug has stopped this idea.

It seems that this question has surfaced dozens of times on other forums. I found my answer posted by Jim Colt on weldingweb.

Use the black and white as the hot, green for ground and tape off the red.

I decided to post the answer in case other on this forum have the same problem.

I cant wait to use this cutter. The Hypertherm 65 has outstanding reviews all over the web since it came out.

The Powermax65 and 85 will run on any input voltage between 200 and 600 volts, single or three phase. When the units are manufactured and crated....we have no idea what power the end user will connect it to. The required plug will be specified based on 1. The voltage and phase (1 or 3) configuration, 2. Local electrical code variations.

If we installed a plug at the factory it is likely that it would be wrong.....and if we included about 20 varaiations of plugs....the price of the system would be considerably higher. I wish there was a better solution...any suggestions?

Wiring for installing a plug is pretty universal and is covered in the operators manual. If you have any questions....most any electrician will be happy to help.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    I got my new cnc plasma system home this week and got it all assembled. I wired the cnc control plug into the plasma cutter per the instructions on the video from Plasma cam. So far so good.

I wired up a plug for my new 240 volt air compressor. It runs fine.

I went to see what type of outlet I would need for the plasma cutter and it is a no go. No plug at all. This sucks.

I have several 240V plugs in my home shop and normally just wire a new one in for any new tools that I get. I hoped to get lucky and have one that would fit the new cutter.

The wire hanging out of the machine has a red, green, black and white. My 240 breaker box in the shop has two hots and a ground.

I need to know what color hooks to what in the breaker box. I think I will wire it right onto a breaker instead of buying both the plug and outlet.

The confusion is this 4 wire cord looks like my 3 phase stuff at my machine shop. If it were a black, white and green it would be no problem.

I hoped to do some test cuts this weekend and almost got there. The lack of a crappy plug has stopped this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The Powermax65 and 85 will run on any input voltage between 200 and 600 volts, single or three phase. When the units are manufactured and crated....we have no idea what power the end user will connect it to. The required plug will be specified based on 1. The voltage and phase (1 or 3) configuration, 2. Local electrical code variations.

If we installed a plug at the factory it is likely that it would be wrong.....and if we included about 20 varaiations of plugs....the price of the system would be considerably higher. I wish there was a better solution...any suggestions?

Wiring for installing a plug is pretty universal and is covered in the operators manual. If you have any questions....most any electrician will be happy to help.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    The ability for this machine to run on single or thre phase power limits you to selling it like it came, with no plug. If I used it at my machine shop I would have wired it for 3 phase. Since I am going to use it at my home shop, I have to go with single phase.

Thanks.