586,404 active members*
2,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Mounting multiple high speed spindles?

Mounting multiple high speed spindles?

I have some products coming up to be machined on the PCNC1100 with my high speed spindle mounted to a shop-made spindle mount. Worked very well in the past in thin 6061. I've even mounted a Milwaukee portable band saw to the mount for CNC-sawing when I couldn't get a slitting saw to work.
    The parts are small, less than 1.5" diameter and made from Kydex, which is an easy material to cut. My idea is to mount maybe 4 separate die-grinders on one mount. Any of you tried this? Or a better question, any reason it wouldn't work?
    Maybe after the Tormach lathe comes out, next in line will be a Tormach Waterjet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wog View Post
    I have some products coming up to be machined on the PCNC1100 with my high speed spindle mounted to a shop-made spindle mount. Worked very well in the past in thin 6061. I've even mounted a Milwaukee portable band saw to the mount for CNC-sawing when I couldn't get a slitting saw to work.
    The parts are small, less than 1.5" diameter and made from Kydex, which is an easy material to cut. My idea is to mount maybe 4 separate die-grinders on one mount. Any of you tried this? Or a better question, any reason it wouldn't work?
    Maybe after the Tormach lathe comes out, next in line will be a Tormach Waterjet!
    Why not make a drive head that will accomodate up to 4 cutters and drive it from the main spindle of your PCNC.

You could use either ER 16 collets, or 1/4 inch set screw type holders depending on your application. I think I would use the ER 16 collet type folders because of the versatility.

You could put your spindles on 2 or 3 inch centers and make 2 to 4 parts at a time.

Just a thought.

You're right though, a lathe would be nice.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Wog,
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish with multiple spindles? If it's tool change time, You may be better off spending a few dollars on the electronic tool setter than multiple high speed spindles. Then you could just load the tool and have the machine measure the new length. Another route is to use flanges on the carbide tools with preset lengths.
    The idea of mounting multiple spindles can be done with different work offsets, but you'll need to spend a lot of time between checking your programs for tool crashes and setting all the work offsets. The time savings may be negated. Not to mention having a bunch of high speed spindles may cause some weird flex in the spindle mount.
    Just a few things to consider.
    Jake

4 spindles equals 4 x the production rate.

Seems sound to me.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jakemestre View Post
    Wog,
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish with multiple spindles?

i have thought about this before. it would definatly make sense if you were making a bunch of small parts and wanted to cut multiple at the same time.

one thing that came to mind was vibration being transferred between all the spindles. i'm sure with a hefty mount and small spindles, it probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jakemestre View Post
    Wog,
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish with multiple spindles?
    I'm really just going to be using it as a CNC router. It's just for one part (Kydex - 1/4" thick) that can be cut with a wood cutting up-cut router bit.
    I will be making over 1000 small unprecise pieces with shaker tabs.
    Probably just pick up 4 cheapo trim routers or maybe cordless cutout tools, mount them in a square around the spindle, and let the chips fly.

Getting the Z height the same on all four cutters is going to be tricky. It won't matter if you're just cutting 2D shapes and don't mind some of the cutters penetrating through into the spoilboard.

If it is critical, you set a surface plate on the table, and then adjust your tools until all four are in contact with the surface plate at the same time.

Frederic

Little off topic, but while looking up cheap cutout tools...
    Good for a few laughs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HorrorFraught.jpg   HorrorFraught2.jpg   HorrorFraught3.jpg   HorrorFraught4.jpg