586,545 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > X6 Mill Level 3 High Speed Core Rough

X6 Mill Level 3 High Speed Core Rough

Hello All,

I am using the high speed core rough toolpath to rough out some 3d part shoots. I posted the program and it is very very long. It has a ton of short little x y moves..i looked at the parameter page and the total tolerance is set to .001 inch total. What is a good tolerance for a rough core program. I finish the shoots with a surface finish parallel ball mill. That the tolerance is also
    .001 inch. It seems to be ok.

Thanks in advance...

try using waterline i did the other day and it made my program smaller by 10 times and gave a better tool path you may have to tweak the entry and exit

.003 tolerance for a rough program

That parameter page has a pull-down in it
    OFF
    1:1
    1:2
    1:3

OFF=do NOT filter the screen toolpath when posting, or give XY code

-the other values allow the post to fit arcs ( ie replace the small XY moves with arcs that lie within the set tolerance band- if tolerance band is 0.002", & an arc can replace the XY points and stay within ±0.001" of the original path, it will) - you also have to allow arcs in XY plane ( lower section of that "Tolerance" dialoge box ). "Filter" works in the same way.

PS- XY ( or "point to point" ) code is also generated if the profile is a spline
    - you have to simplify a spline into 1 (or more arcs - break into smaller lengths before simplifing ) to be able to "Filter" the XY code into arcs.

Thanks Guys, I did change the tolerance to .003 and it helped. Superman I did not see the settings that you mentioned off, 1:1 etc on the arc/tolerance page

In X5, and I believe X6, on the arc filter/tolerance page the choices are in the "Filter Ratio" drop down. Off is default

When Roughing a part I always bump up the tolerance as much as possible.

My settings depend on how much stock you are leaving for the finish pass.
    Usually 2:1 ratio on the filter also.

If I'm leaving .02" for finish I will bump my Cut tolerance up to about .006" or .007" This lets the machine run smoother and faster with less code.

Ureka...I did finally find the arc filter that was mentioned earlyier in this post. It is in the SURFACE ROUGH and SURFACE FINISH tool paths. What I am using is the SURFACE HIGH SPEED toolpaths which the options are a bit different.I opted to use the smoothing options so the options are different still.

opti core one of my favs ya do .003 for roughing shortens the program length and runs quicker. upcut rocks too. waterline works wonders if u add cuts and set your stepover u may have to isolate some sections of the part depending on the angle or rad your cutting to help speed it up otherwise it runs a bunch of smaller z moves around the whole wall when/if you have straighter drops. and for finishing i usually use a 2:1 ratio for everything unless its a tight tolerance. good looking arcs then

you are safe to use up to 1/3 the tollorence of what you are using for stock left. you loosen it up to much and you may over cut in some places.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .