586,139 active members*
3,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > What am I doing wrong

What am I doing wrong

I am trying to do a simple lathe part, but my material stock is not orientated the proper way. I think the problem is that my part is not oriented properly, but this is just a guess. I would attach the file, but I have no idea how to load a BC file.

OK, I figure it out where I was going wrong. Now I am trying to change my stock diameter and I do not see it changing

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    I am trying to do a simple lathe part, but my material stock is not orientated the proper way. I think the problem is that my part is not oriented properly, but this is just a guess. I would attach the file, but I have no idea how to load a BC file.
    1) Are you in Lathe mode ? ? Go to Modules and click the "Turning Mode" button.

2) Navigate to your file and then right click on it and from the list that appears select "Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder" you now have a Zip file that you can upload to the "Zone" using the "Manage Attachments" button below

I wasn't in lathe mode, but now that I am it still doesn't matter, the stock diameter doesn't change.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Something is also wrong when I try to compute toolpath BC shuts down.

If I remember correctly you have to draw your stock.
    Also use "clean up and optimize" and possibly "erase doubles" in case there are any gaps or doubles in the geometry.

doug

I think the problem here is you selected the part OD as the stock geometry.

If you want to setup you stock with the turning software just RT click on turning stock > edit

upload pictures

This window will open up

anonymous image hosting

This is where you can edit your stock settings....

Because you selected the OD geometry as you stock, you'll need to Rt click on stock geometry then delete
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

I wasn't in lathe mode, but now that I am it still doesn't matter, the stock diameter doesn't change.

You have used your geometry as the stock geometry so it won`t change when you go to the "Turning Stock > Edit", you have to left click "Stock Geometry" then right click and then left click "delete".

Now you will be able to set the stock diameter, length etc, etc.

If the geometry in your file is the shape you want to turn then that`s not the right way to draw things in the Lathe Mode.

All you need to draw is a cross section, you don`t need to draw the full thing.

Also no, you don`t have to draw your stock, just set as Al has shown. I was typing this as Al posted So there is some duplication of effort

Try this file, it`s not complete as I don`t have the tools in this version of BobCAD to do the "back cut" but it should give you the general idea.
    I don`t have V25 Lathe so this is done in V23 but it should open and run OK in whatever you are using V23, V24 or V25, you didn`t mention which version you are using

Oh BTW forgot to say, I did a face and then an OD turn for you so you can see how they are set up

Regards

OK, I made some progress. I don't see my G code when I click on Post all. Also I tried machining with the grooving tool, but all I get is a bunch of consecutive grooves (exactly what you would expect!). Is there a way to turn with a grooving tool? I really don't want to do a second operation on this part if I don't have to. I have attached my file if someone can look at it and see if what I have done looks right I would appreciate it. I am totally new to BC and also cnc lathes. I still need to figure out how to pull the bar for the next part, but one step at a time.

Found the problem, I wasn't posting from the correct place, should have been posting from Cam Part>Lathe Tools. I found it in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYdl9txgDOI]V25 - Lathe Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Sure would have been nice to have found this video this morning, WTF!!!!

OK, I made some progress. I don't see my G code when I click on Post all. Also I tried machining with the grooving tool, but all I get is a bunch of consecutive grooves (exactly what you would expect!). Is there a way to turn with a grooving tool? I really don't want to do a second operation on this part if I don't have to. I have attached my file if someone can look at it and see if what I have done looks right I would appreciate it. I am totally new to BC and also cnc lathes. I still need to figure out how to pull the bar for the next part, but one step at a time.
    Don`t try to use a Grooving tool, when you get to the tool setting page use the "Select Tool" button below where the speeds and feeds are input, when the tool library opens select the tool "1/8 Face Anvil", this is a square tool like a grooving tool but it is a turning tool, I used this in the attached example and to get the sharp internal corners I took the tool rads off.

Here is a screen grab of the Verify in V23 showing your part as my file would machine it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowerSprocket-Mod-2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	167670

Hope this helps a little more

P.S. Almost forgot, when you use a tool in this manner it will cut using the left front corner as the "leading edge", as far as I am aware there is currently no way to have it swap edges during cutting so if you want to use this type tool as in my example the geometry for the raised part in the middle should have been made wider to the left by 1/8 of an inch, sorry, getting late here, 1.15am so I`m off to bed

Regards

Thanks for all of the help. I've made more progress on this part. I do have some errors that are coming up in the simulation.

The first thing I see is that I am using a grooving/facing tool, when I face the edge of the part the tool is coming in and then facing on the way out, the tool will not work this way. I am also getting an "out of max range" error and a "flute collision" error. Not too sure what these mean, but I'm sure it was something that I programmed. I'm not too sure that I have my parting off operation correct. If I tell the program to cut the part to 1.00", the simulation shows the part to be short.

If I add the width of the parting insert and the amount that I allowed for facing (.05"), the part appears to be correct (total is 1.17", parting insert width is .120").

I'm not too sure how to use the stock feed. I plan on using a Royal bar puller with the combination puller and cutoff bar. This may have to be a sub routine. Found this:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_ma...m_problem.html

but it doesn't say that they are using the combination puller.

Sorry, can`t help you with the "puller", not something I`ve ever used

Found a couple of odd things with your file, it appeared to take your original solids into the simulation, that may be where you are getting the collision errors from

Also trying to use a cutoff tool for facing doesn`t work right as you have found out.

Try the attached file, hope it`s a bit nearer for you

Regards

Rob, thanks for your help. I think what I will do to correct the facing problem is to actually call for a groove that will actually be facing the part. I ran your file and it looked good, I still got an error saying value overflow Z. I put the facing operation before the drilling operation and that created a few more of the overflow errors. I'll have to call tech support and see what is up there. Tomorrow I'll sit down and look at what you did for each feature and try to apply it to my file. I'll leave yours as a "master". Thanks again, Ron