586,077 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > possible Problem with Hitachi x200 vfd

possible Problem with Hitachi x200 vfd

Today I was milling some maple with a 3/8" mill and the mill started slipping from the collet in turn ultimately stopping the spindle. I caught it pretty quickly and shut everything down. There was an error message on the spindle (which in my haste I failed to record or remember). I turned off power to the vfd for a couple of minutes, then back on. Whenever I powered up the vfd before it would default to the beginning of the menu system at a--- and I would cycle up to d001 to get the spindle hz readout (I never looked into how to get it to start from there). Now when it powers up, it starts at the hz readout. More importantly, my spindle is only running off of 2 phases, not 3. removing the t3 leg makes no difference in the operation of the motor (which now starts erratic and can spin in either direction by chance) whereas the removal of #1 or 2 stops the motor. I figure I would do both an amperage as well as voltage reading on each leg from ground realizing I would not get a steady readout) Both t1 and t2 are consistent at a low voltage range, but t3 is shoving -140 volts or so. I assume there should be consistency across all 3 phases. I am thinking the vfd may be toast, but I wanted to get a few opinions as to whether I am correct in my assumption or if there is anything else I could look at to either reset the vfd, further testing or salvage this thing. Any input is appreciated. Jay

Are you sure it's not the motor that's bad?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I would test the motor and all the cabling down to the VFD.

At connector on my spindle I get 1.7ohms between any of the three legs of the motor. I tested continuity of the cable running to the motor by using a multi-meter from the connector to the actual pins on the VFD. Finally I reconnected the cable to the motor and tested if I saw the same 1.7 ohms between each leg at the X200.

There is a procedure for resetting the X200 to factory defaults. Be sure to follow it and make note of which country code you have. You will need to verify it later when you press the reset button sequence.

Thanks guys, I will test the ohms on the spindle in the morning. I am concerned about the inconsistency with the t3 leg coming out of the x200. If I'm correct, the spindle is just like any other 3 phase motor, in that all 3 legs should be the same and only the frequency changes to control the speed of the motor. I will rule out the motor, but my gut is telling me the vfd is where the issue is. My understanding is that the hitachi vfds are supposed to be reliable. It's hard to believe a very short motor stall would do it harm.. unless both the motor and vfd are faulty maybe due to the motor shorting out.. I will also swap the motor leads if the ohm test passes to see if things stay the same. This comes in the middle of a few projects I need to get done.. always happens that way! I do still have the (very loud) industrial porter cable router I had on there before. I had spacers milled to install the spindle in the router mounts, so at least I have that option!

Jay

jayty97

I'm not sure what you mean, are you running 2 wires 110/120V AC into the drive, & only using 2 wires out of the drive to the motor

If your spindle motor is 3PH then it has to have the 3 output wires from the VFD to run the motor, it is quite normal to have only 2 110/120V wires feeding the drive

The input power if you are using single phase would be wired L1 & N or R/L1 & T/L3

T1 T2 T3 is for your motor & all 3 must be connected, to the motor

Your drive has Electronic Thermal overload, you need to set this to suit the motor that you are using, this will then protect the drive when you stall the motor
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    jayty97

I'm not sure what you mean, are you running 2 wires 110/120V AC into the drive, & only using 2 wires out of the drive to the motor

If your spindle motor is 3PH then it has to have the 3 output wires from the VFD to run the motor, it is quite normal to have only 2 110/120V wires feeding the drive

The input power if you are using single phase would be wired L1 & N or R/L1 & T/L3

T1 T2 T3 is for your motor & all 3 must be connected, to the motor

Your drive has Electronic Thermal overload, you need to set this to suit the motor that you are using, this will then protect the drive when you stall the motor
    I am running 3 phase (240) in to the drive. All three legs are connected to the motor. I have a few hundred hours thus far on this setup. Everything is set for the spindle I'm running other than a couple of conveniences. It has been running flawlessly until yesterday. Though I have relatively good knowledge of electronics, I do not know everything as I learn as I go! I was assuming that being a 3 phase output, any readings (voltage, amperage, hz) I take from any of the legs (t1,t2,t3) should be similar coming out of the drive. In my case the t3 leg is showing a vastly different reading than the other 2 both with the motor connected and without. I am not sure if this assumption is correct or not.

jayty97

What does the input power look like

More importantly, my spindle is only running off of 2 phases, not 3. removing the t3 leg makes no difference in the operation of the motor

This is what is a little confusing, Taking the wire off T3 & running the motor will burn it out, & may damage the drive as well
    Mactec54

I would revert back to the local panel and try running the motor to see if any E codes come up?
    Abnormal current or grounded winding will show up with a E code.
    Did you set the motor data up? # of poles etc?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You can also run the X200 off of split phase where you run 2 110VAC legs and an equipment ground. This would be used in a residential setting where you don't have 3-phase. This is the way I am running mine.

You would need to connect one leg to L1 and the second leg to L3.

Re-reading the O.P., it almost seems like one phase is open on the motor??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.