586,396 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Wiring breakout board to old Isel Stepper drivers

Wiring breakout board to old Isel Stepper drivers

Hi all

Hoping someone could help me wire up Isel stepper drivers to a breakout board I bought from ebay.

I know, I know, ebay stuff not the best idea, but that's all I got at the moment.

I attached a pic of the board & the pinouts of the stepper driver.

Hope someone could help or point me in the right direction

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breakout board.jpg   Driver Pinout.jpg  

Hello

The break-out board looks very good .... I am confused by the picture of the stepper driver connections do you have a part number etc.

I suspect, looking at Isel's current procuct and again at your connector that it is in 3 parts ... the top pins are status, the middle pins are inputs and the lower pins are output to the motors.

Taking the first 4 of the second group they are marked GND-Opto, Step-opto, Dir-opto and enable-opto ... I suspect these are connected to each of your axis outputs in order
    XE, XS, XD and XE .... this does assume a couple of things ... that the break-out box can drive optos ..... and thyat I have it right!

An easy check would be to buy a LED and a resistor about 470 ohms wire these together. The LED has a anode and cathode (+ and - ) wire the resistor in the cathode leg and connect the anode to XS and the resistor to the XE .... it should light if X movement is requested.

That will be a safe place to start ....

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard

Yes it's 3 driver units, the picture is the pinout of the one.
    It actually slots into a "motherboard" was thinking of of just hardwiring it to the breakout board & bypass the "motherboard"

This is the manual for the whole unit - Link

In the attached pic I labeled the pins of the breakout board as per it's manual.
    Also attached is a just the driver manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breakout board pinout.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello

Just to clarify things a moment what software are you hoping to drive this with?

A break-out box is used with softwares like LinuxCNC which themselves emulate a machine tool controller and the Isel device was either programmed from it's own 'PC' or via GW-Basic so you would not use the two together ... but I see a future in taking the microprocessor out of the Isel and wiring a break-out box inside instead ....

The LinuxCNC will run on 1 GHz computers, 512Mb of RAM so any computer 5 - 8years old will have both serial and parallel.

Regards

Richard

Planning to run it with mach3, also have linuxCNC. But would prefer mach3.

Yup, cancel out the processor card completely. basically just use the drivers.

Hello

Because so much of this Isel unit is built I would start there. The system is built on DIN rails using 41612 connectors so many of the parts are available. I am not so sure about the connectors on the back of the unit to the motors. As there are no circuits you will need to find out which wires from the back of the processor boards go where on the driver boards .... a photograph taken along arrow 7 on page 8 of the manual showing the module and processor wiring might be helpful in advising you further .....

My concerns are these: That the Breakout box does not seem to have Opto isolators a list of the parts would confirm this .... an adapter would have to be built otherwise.

And general signal polarity etc. Power supply availability etc. most of it will be there!!

Regards

Richard