586,796 active members*
2,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New guy here... A lot to learn

Hello everyone, I just stumbled across the forum a few weeks ago, and holy cow... I've got the itch to get into an entry level cnc plasma table for my garage, and don't have tens of thousands to spend. I'm a welder/fabricator for a living with very little machining experience, and even less electronics. But, I just feel I need to have a cnc table for the house for my many projects (hardtail bobber, offroad toys, random artsy stuff, etc.) has anyone got any experience with the gearhead cnc Hobbyplaz? Is it even worth looking into, or should I just learn all I can and build a table myself? I'm definitely on a budget, and don't need HD accuracy, mostly just making tabs, the occasional suspension parts, whatever. All welded and jigged pieces though. It seems that everyone here is extremely knowledgable in cnc equipment and hopefully I don't get laughed out of the forums for my lack of knowledge. But I want to learn! Thanks in advance for any and all input. -Sean

There are some good options out there. But I personally have a plasmacam 4x4 system. It is probably one of the most affordable units that come with really straight forward and simply to use software. I heard some good things about this company too Home | GoTorchGoTorch. They use plasmacam's controls and software and appear to be extremely affordable. You might check them out.

Larry

Build your own. Go with candcnc electronics and a DIY percision plasma gantry kit. Make sure you incorporate a water table to keep the dust down in the garage. Buy a mach 3 and sheet cam licence. Corel draw is also nice. Buy a hypertherm 45 plasma cutter. I built my own with no prior cnc knowledge. I'm pretty mechanical and figured everything out surfing the forums. It took me 7 months and about 5500.00. The digital torch height control is awesome with the candcnc blade runner package! A plasma cam will run you around 13000.00 all said and done without a water table. Also if you build yourself you will learn more and be able to fix and trouble shoot your own machine. Just my 2 cents. It's very addicting!

Dear Z28:

You just specified every reason why a DIY machine is ends up being much more expensive and a huge pain.

7 months of your time, stepper motors, a whole multitude of software programs to deal with and learn. No way! Time is our most valuable resource and your cand cnc deal sounds mega rip off for a chepo stepper motor system. Why spend all of that time learning the software, Building a frame, and 'sufing the forums' for technical assistance. I have free tech support, I can call somebody and get me answer in no time.

Who has time time to deal with a DIY machine when I can get a easier to use ready to go machine with servos motors, with a 3 year warranty, free tech support for as little as $6,980 from plasmacam?

z28 - you must smoking the funny stuff or your the type of guy that sits on the TV and watches the sofa.

- Richard

Well, I'd love to be able to just got buy one, but I'm a younger guy, working for someone with short arms and deep pockets, just had a baby, and am getting married in 6 months. So going and dropping 7-10k would be fantastic. And I know I could make that money back relatively quick with the machine. But, it's simply not an option. I don't have that kind of money... Yet. And it is a privately owned table, not for a business, so I don't know what their financing options are. Plus I'd love to learn more about these things.

Build your own richard has no idea what he is talking about. The 5500.00 I spent includes a 3500.00 Hypertherm 45 with machine torch. Yes it took 7 months but I only worked on it for 3-4 hours every week end. Richard good luck with your plasmacam when your yellow controller box goes out it will cost you more than I have in my table and cncnc electronics. Oh ya I also have a water table try hanging a water table on your plasma cam ha ha....

Here is a pic of what I built for 5500.00. You could build it cheaper if you wanted, Everything is zinc coated and powdercoated, I also decided to run the nice machine torch and billet Z axis. Sorry richard no time for TV.

Shane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc.jpg  

Shame,

I would feel upset too if I spent $3,500 on a Powermax 45. They can actually be purchased for much less than that. Poor guy..Did you get suckered on all of the paraphernalia you had to buy to make that machine run?

You do bring a good point on the control box, they are FREE to replace like any of the other parts for 3 years.

So if it took you more than a half a year to build the 2ft machine, how many years did it take you to learn how to breathe?

Richard

Yes you are right you can purchase them for less than 3500.00 if you dont want to run a machine torch. The machine torch is 700.00. I also have a hand torch that I can plug it the hypertherm and us for jobs that dont require cnc. Richard why dont you post a pic of your plasma cam with the hand torch zip tied to the Z. How do you keep your torch square. Plasma cams hand torch holder is junk. I know because I have used one. I think richard must have got suckered in to that nice little video that plasma cam mails out.......I built a 2x2 so it is easy to move around in the shop. I could have built a 4X4 for about 300.00-400.00 extra. I need the extra shop room for my cnc mill. Richard I hope your 3 warranty makes you feel warm and cosy at night......you may want to start learning a thing or 2 about cnc because when your warranty runs out you will be at plasma cams mercy. Richard why dont you tell us how much you had to spend to get your plasma cam running (p cam, plasma cutter, computer, air compressor..etc.

Shane

Hey Guys!

I am Dan and I work at PlasmaCAM. Shane, you might be referring to our original model with the torch holder. The one on the DHC2 is actually much better and easier to line up square as compared to the original model. Just like any other company, we always try continue to improve and innovate. We do have a 3 year warranty on the machine, which is really good compared to some of the other machines out there. The control box, if anything ever happened after the 3 years, can be exchanged for $498 (which is pretty reasonable). The hypertherm powermax 45 can be purchased retail from around $1,700 - $2,100 for hand held system. Add about $650 dollars if you want to go with a machine torch. Either can be used with the plasmacam. My personal opinion is that I can cut the same on both, so I can't really warrant the extra $650. Furthermore, a water table on the PlasmaCAM, is really easy to fabricate. We have DXF file that you can use to cut it out if you need it (we had to do it because we had to take a water table to a Trade show in Germany). I will tell you that water table can be messy and toxic, so beware. The down draft system is a lot better in my experience at controlling dust and smoke. So I am a bigger 'fan' of the down draft. But to each his own.

By the way Shane, I really do think that you did a great job on your build! Nice work man!

Sometimes people like the doing it yourself gig, but others prefers another an easier and less complex way. There are some major advantages with our machine. We support them, they are ready to order and ship upon your phone call, we can also provide financing for those who would prefer a low monthly payment option.

Give me a call if you guys ever have any questions. I am always available and would loving hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

Dan
    PlasmaCAM
    719-676-2700

PlasmaCAM 4x4 Machine- $6980.00

Financing Available. Payments as low as $193 A month.

More than likely you have seen a PlasmaCAM machine. Now you can have one of your own.

Let me Know if I can answer any questions.

*3 Year Warranty
    *Best Height Control Available
    *Steel machine
    *Servo Motors
    *Integrated CAD/CAM no exporting-importing for cutting.

*Reviews*
    Plasma Cutting Machine Reviews - PlasmaCAM Cutting Systems

Sounds like you need a DIY kit and build it as you can afford it. Don't be duped by the Salesmen here as I have stepper motors and a DIY Controller box and it will work just fine!

It is all smoke and mirrors with these guys in my opinion, they are in business to make money and if you can weld and fabricate, you can get a machine that is better than they sell.

I have decided though once I get my business up and running, I will purchase a pre-built machine to save money and time.

Dont be afraid to build your own.

candcnc electronics are plug and play and come with a 2 year warranty. Tom the owner of candcnc has a yahoo forum that you can join to help with any questions along the way. Candcnc also has the best and least expensive digital hight control in the industrie.

Buy a DIY gantry kit from percision plasma llc its 300.00 then you supply your own 2x2 tubing. The 2x2 tubing is used for the gantry rails and can also be used in the frame like I did on my build. You can buy the gear rack and gears from mcmaster carr. Ron at percision plasma will send you a build sheet of everything you need. The gantry instructions are just for the cars and the rails and you build the frame how you want it. You can buy a 6" Z axis from percision plasma for around 500.00 or you can build your own. I think the Z is the most complicated part in building your own table.

Buy a Hypertherm 45 Jim Colt supports the 45 here on the forum and he is full of knowledge and will help you if you have any questions. The hypertherm 45 also plugs directly into candcncs electronics. No splicing!

Buy a Mach 3 & Sheet Cam Licence. You can use any cad program or use corel draw to create dxf files. Or import dxf files that are ready to cut.

Plasma cam does make a decent machine for those that dont want to build there own. I am not bad mouthing plasma cam in any way. I bought a plasma cam in 2006 I was not impressed with there torch holder it sounds like they may have fixed it....but I did have the dthc model it the torch was held on by a thumb screw and zip ties. I sold my plasma cam because I had to move. The plasma cam held its value. I think I sold it for 2000.00 less than I paid for it. Not too bad. I decided to build my own last year when I moved into my new place. I will tell you that you will be money ahead and gain 5 times the knowledge if you build one yourself.

Shane

Man, I wish I had $7k to just drop on a system. Nah, actually, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot while building my own table. I looked at Torchmate and Plasmacam briefly, but just couldn't justify the expense. I have a total of less than $500 (closer to $250 or $300) in my machine, not including the Ebay plasma cutter itself. It's not as fancy as the commercially available units. No THC, for example, but I am quite happy with it for what it is. Someday after it's made a few thousand dollars for me (I'm dreaming a little...) maybe I'll take that money and buy a bigger, better, fancier table, but I doubt it. I'll just build a bigger, better, fancier table and spend the rest of the money on a vacation!

Not everybody has the time or skills to build their own from scratch, but with the kits out there, I see no reason that DIY should be excluded from the available options. If you have the money and just want to start cutting parts, go for it. Otherwise, start drawing up some plans!

Dave

Its a secret so don't tell, OK?
    But Plasmacam designed another table, its a 2x2 called Gotorch!
    But they want all to think its someone else's and their competing with them?
    But when you look up the domain for its website you will see that its owned by Plasmacam.
    And your warranty or support is only with using the owners community or plasma pig which they now own!
    If you do buy one and use the forums, sign your name or Mick the (rhymes with Mick) moderator will chastise you even though when he forgets, its OK? Typical person who let's power go to his head.
    They say its on sale right now for $2999.95 thousand off so reg price is $3999.95!
    I own all 3 tables and love them, and once I figured out how to use it 2 year learning curve, its a lot of fun!
    Could have learned quicker but manual has key parts missing from it? Almost makes you wonder if they don't want you to learn it without their help?
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by outsidegangskil View Post
    ...Could have learned quicker but manual has key parts missing from it? Almost makes you wonder if they don't want you to learn it without their help?
    Ron
    That's what everybody says about the manuals from the place I work! I don't think it's really that they don't want you to learn. It's that they pay people to write who really don't know what they are writing about. So you end up with a pic of the front of the unit and a description that says "Power button - Used to turn the unit on and off." Sorry, it's not just them or us. It is everywhere. Just a sign of the times.

Hope the OP didn't get scared off! I guess it's only been a couple weeks.

Oh, and it's not hard to see the Plasmacam design in the Gotorch. It does look very portable!

Its true that all manuals are that way. As an Instrumentation/Electrician manuals were our largest headaches. Always thought most were written by engineers with book smarts but no hands on experience. I don't understand though when suggesting that Plasmacam becomes defensive? If I owned a company especially who has video showing how easy it is to use I would listen to complaints and ask what users are not understanding?
    I have suggested they have a person off the street who has never used the table to watch and read the manual then see what issues they might have.
    I know for a fact there are certain details missing, and not intentionally but wasn't proof read before publishing.
    These are crucial details that help differ from cutting metal to cutting metal nicely and knowledge of dhc or digital height control.
    The forums helped but not without reading every post written for the last 7 years! But if it wasn't for others already asking I would still be flustered or selling.
    I do like Plasmacam and Samson, but to this day there are people buying it asking same questions? How do you get it to cut like in the video?
    But when you do figure it out, its an awesome table.
    Since I couldn't divulge my whole day to playing with table, I would say it took almost 2 years to learn. So if you have time enjoy the learning curve.
    Sure some are saying it might might be me? Except my grandson attends Boces and I had the kids come to my place for show/tell.
    I live within 3 miles from school. The kids watched video read manual prior to visit. They were then asked to attempt to operate table, and not one kid could do so. I then corrected in manual the missing parts. The kids were amazed and learned first hand about manuals not always being correct!
    Never has Plasmacam asked what's missing, they only call me a trouble maker? I videoed my adventure with the kids (16-17 yr olds)
    To document I,m not BS,ing anybody.
    If it wasn't for owners not being able to figure table out, I would have had to pay for new table. Both my tables I bought cheaper then new were from frustrated owners.
    For the record, I would have no problems recommending the Plasmacam! Just use the company support for as many times you need to. Don't worry bout being a pest, it was your money and a lot of it! They would do the same thing if it was them. The forums are great also but you paid for company support not owners support. Use both but really ask company reps how to do what you can't figure out!
    Ron

Well my go torch or z-2 table came today. It looks as sturdy as my Samson or dhc tables. I have no issues with the tables, the parts, controllers or otherwise, it has been with the manuals.
    On opening my box I pulled out the software box.
    Amazingly there is a "New Video Manual, August 2012"
    In this manual are the instructions for the 3 D software, something I have been asking for all along!
    When someone said to see it in the video manual, I had to ask where?
    But I see its in the new video manual.
    Then there have been some upgrades to the software also that I didn't have w with mine!
    Since I have the Design edge advanced version I would have expected it to have what is in this new software also, or received in their upgrades they put out.
    So for all my *****ing and griping, I finally got what I have been asking about all along.
    I never could figure out why nobody from Plasmacam ever called or emailed me asking what my *****ing was about, and trying to clear up what I had issues with?
    Since I purchased many upgrades and parts these last few years, and was always polite to whoever took my call, I don't see why nobody asked what could be done to resolve my complaints?
    Instead I had some disguising themselves as owners and calling me a troll, a constant complainer who never helps anyone but *****es.......
    So now I have what I have been asking for all along, and with these answers I have nothing to ***** about.
    So after over $20,000.00 and a few years spent asking, it is in this video manual.

Quote Originally Posted by outsidegangskil View Post
    Well my go torch or z-2 table came today. It looks as sturdy as my Samson or dhc tables.
    Just Curious as to why you'd buy a go torch when you already have 3 machines that have more capacity?

I find confliction in your posts. You say you're a Instrumentation/Electrician yet you had so much trouble. I have no electrical training and really only know the basics and got my Mach 3 system going without much hassles. I bought a used home built Mach 3 based Plasma CNC from the local classifieds. I could have built my own, but the machine I found has high end components and would cost more just to buy the parts than what I paid for the machine. I've seen many Plasmacams for sale in the local classifieds...wonder why?

I Still think a mach 3 based system is the way to go if you're a hobbiest or small manufacturer on a budget. Easy to find electronics if needed and low cost. I use mine mostly to prototype. Once my design is completed I send my parts to a laser cutter for production, it's actually cheaper for me

BTW according to the Gotorch website there is no phone support only web and email.

If you have big money and need to get producing right away get something industrial like an MG or Esab ect
    www.decalpro.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Machinenut View Post
    Hey Guys!

I am Dan and I work at PlasmaCAM. Shane, you might be referring to our original model with the torch holder. The one on the DHC2 is actually much better and easier to line up square as compared to the original model. Just like any other company, we always try continue to improve and innovate. We do have a 3 year warranty on the machine, which is really good compared to some of the other machines out there. The control box, if anything ever happened after the 3 years, can be exchanged for $498 (which is pretty reasonable). The hypertherm powermax 45 can be purchased retail from around $1,700 - $2,100 for hand held system. Add about $650 dollars if you want to go with a machine torch. Either can be used with the plasmacam. My personal opinion is that I can cut the same on both, so I can't really warrant the extra $650. Furthermore, a water table on the PlasmaCAM, is really easy to fabricate. We have DXF file that you can use to cut it out if you need it (we had to do it because we had to take a water table to a Trade show in Germany). I will tell you that water table can be messy and toxic, so beware. The down draft system is a lot better in my experience at controlling dust and smoke. So I am a bigger 'fan' of the down draft. But to each his own.

By the way Shane, I really do think that you did a great job on your build! Nice work man!

Sometimes people like the doing it yourself gig, but others prefers another an easier and less complex way. There are some major advantages with our machine. We support them, they are ready to order and ship upon your phone call, we can also provide financing for those who would prefer a low monthly payment option.

Give me a call if you guys ever have any questions. I am always available and would loving hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

Dan
    PlasmaCAM
    719-676-2700

PlasmaCAM 4x4 Machine- $6980.00

Financing Available. Payments as low as $193 A month.

More than likely you have seen a PlasmaCAM machine. Now you can have one of your own.

Let me Know if I can answer any questions.

*3 Year Warranty
    *Best Height Control Available
    *Steel machine
    *Servo Motors
    *Integrated CAD/CAM no exporting-importing for cutting.

*Reviews*
    Plasma Cutting Machine Reviews - PlasmaCAM Cutting Systems

Im curious as to how you get a Hypertherm hand torch to work with your system...your mailer shows the torch strapped on and a wire tie around the trigger but anyone with a Hypertherm knows you cant do that and use a CPC without some knowhow. Care to explain that or is that picture just for show? Surely you cant expect the people buying this machine to have to open up their $2k plasma cutter and modify something to use a hand torch on your system like you show in the mailer you send out. As we can see, people like AmesMFG buy these and im sure he cant handle the mod needed to use it.

-AmesMFG
    By the way Ames, im well on my way to having a plasma table with a 4'x8' cutting area for a total of around $4,800(including the $1700 spent on the Hypertherm Powermax 45). Build time is going on 2 months now working 3 days a week on it. Can also double as a router and will have that functionality built into it as soon as plasma is done...can your plasma cam do that?? No because it weighs 400 pounds and any amount of weight on the Z would throw that machine out of the room its in(Clearly indicated by the Y axis bearings RIDING on a painted/powder coated surface) I also see you got sucked into the servo advertising, whats the point of a servo if the machine itself cant hold the tolerance? Hell I have more weight in my frame alone than your whole table weighs and im sure you tell all your friends about your fancy encoder feedback. Why pay so much more to have something supposedly many times more accurate than the plasma cutter? Surely your not trying to hold .005 tolerances with plasma are you? And how about that 1000ipm cutting/rapid speed?? I can show you a video of my Y axis doing 1920 ipm and the X axis doing 1300 ipm.

Dont hate on the DIYers because you yourself are too stupid to be able to complete it at all or in a reasonable time. I have handled every piece of metal, bolt, nut, washer and raw piece of steel that went into my table. If something goes wrong I can fix it, you on the other hand will be calling someone. What happens if this is Friday night?? Guess you are waiting until Monday when us DIYers machines are running in under an hour.

Sorry if I don't respond to any posts referring to me, but not always on here or any forum for that matter. Usually get on computer late at night or when its crummy out as would prefer to be outdoors.
    Pimpbike, I bought the Go torch for the price! If you add up all the parts and had to buy them one at a time when a part went down, you would pay more than $2999.00! So in the meantime I have a smaller working table. That is my insurance policy if needed, I'll take a part from that. Plus I snowbird to Arizona in winter and can take that with me. I have already taken it to farms and used it on spot, instead of them bringing something to me.
    Besides the Go torch, I bought my tables used from people who were frustrated that it didn't do what was in video.
    But it does, its just you have to read a lot.
    My biggest mistake was putting in numbers in the settings and machine didn't work right? What I learned was to do a factory reset then insert the settings in your plasma cutters manual. After that it was just having to do some tweaking. My being an Instrumentation/Electrician has nothing to do with my NOT being able to or being able to operate the table, it was to explain that I encountered many complex manuals but nothing like what Plasmacam has out! If you leave out not doing a Factory reset prior to inserting the needed settings, you are just adding numbers on top of numbers. Most people play right off the start with the table, and this could mean the controller/software isn't factory set.
    Then I was told if not read in forums to insert certain settings into the software settings. But nobody says to make sure you don't have any other settings or boxes checked or unchecked and you end up frustrated thinking you did everything you were told and it still won't work like in sales video.
    I did a screen shot print out of each settings box and then compared them o what they would be after doing factory reset and got my answer!
    In the manual and on the forums your told to set z axis by moving torch over the metal then lowering till touching metal.
    But you have to raise the torch all the way up until it chatters then lower to touch metal, and then do an initialize!
    These little things left out by those on the forums and the mods on them, plus the Plasmacam support guys are only frustrating anyone new.
    And if you complain they label you as being a trouble maker.
    My last rant is I don't think anyone has made a living solely on the Plasmacam, or any table for that matter. If you don't do some welding or something else its just a hobby!
    Now that I have it working like in video I am very pleased with the table, and am very pleased with the go torch. Would I recommend any of the tables to someone never using a computer or doing any trade work, NO!
    The Go torch for that price is so small and only has the basic design edge it would really frustrate someone.
    By the time you invest in more of the software and soon wanting to make it larger you would be spending thousands more!
    I have the full software and the go torch runs hooked up to my computer, as it doesn't know the difference.
    My second opinion would be to get some support guys with thicker skin, as these guys get offended to easy. They also think their fooling some by using aliases when responding to comments. Just look at the people commenting on the Gotorch's website on how much they love it, and how their world has changed? Except the table hasn't been out that long for that many people to comment on it! And doing a Google search of their names and businesses don't show up any of them?
    An old Plasmacam sales trick.........two of them labeled me a troll!
    Maybe I'll change my advatar...:-)
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12