586,390 active members*
2,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Laser Cutting Card Stock

I am trying to laser cardstock for a potential customer and having a few issues. I need the lines to be clean, as in no black dust or other markings on the finished product as it will be painted. When I am cutting I have 2 problems arising;

1. I am getting debris forming on the top of the cardstock and it just smears or won't come off.

2. On the bottom side I am getting reflections from the honeycomb table etching into the cardstock.

Can anyone share some advice on how to lessen or eliminate these issues?

The cut lines themself are great and the laser is focused properly.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

It sounds like you need to speed things up or reduce the power or both. I would then rig up an assembly to hold the card off the honeycomb surface.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Door you have air assist?
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

I do have air assist and the ability to use shop air. I will try to elevate the material and reduce power. Not sure if I can speed it up because the line segments are short enough that it won't be able to accelerate fast enough.

I have a 120 watt laser and was running at 30 power and 40 speed. The card stock is about 3/32" thick.

I didn't think cutting the cardstock should be an issue, just never tried it.

Hurricane21 Guest
    One of your problems is the honeycomb table - you are getting flashback. You need to cut directly on the base table or a large piece of anodized Aluminum. Thats what we do here with paper. Secondly - you are using a 120 watt laser to cut paper - This is not usually recommended - It can be done - but the result is what you are describing. Try turning your power way down and speeding up as much as you can. - don't forget to change you corner power. Try 15%.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I did what was mentioned above and got great cuts. I think the biggest improvement came from using the shop air and much lower power. Hopefully the customer will like the proof and place an order.

Thanks Again