586,471 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Questions about the CRP4848

Hi,

I have been collecting parts for a big router table for some time and now I am getting ready to pull the trigger based on what I see being done with the CRP4848 kit.

MY first questions:

Using the steel leg kit what is the overall footprint of this router?

I want to put it in a corner, how close to the walls can I put it assuming I have the special locking casters so it can be moved for maintenance?

I want to do wood routing and I will use the Nema 23 configuration with a Gecko G540. The spindle will be a Porter Cable 690 router.

Any other comments? I will use good dust collection to run this in a tight space.

-James Leonard
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

The overall X-Y dimensions of the CRP4848 is 60" X 57". I decided to build my base out of wood, thinking it would be cheaper and would be heavy enough to keep the CRP4848 from walking around the shop when in operation. Seeing the price of CRP's metal frame, I know I was wrong on the first point. We'll see on the second when I finally have the beast running.

-Freeman (Analias)
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Hi Analias,

Thanks for your input. I need to do some work on my shop before I get started, but it will be soon I think!

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

I would personally recommend some access to three sides of the CNC at least. There maybe times when you need to do get to the side to clean or pick something up. Moving the machine may knock something out and might not be perfectly set the same when moved back.

Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

If possible I would think about having it 2' away from the wall. Maybe place your dust collection there on wheels that way its easy to get in there if needed. That being said, most stuff I've been cutting is smaller then 24x36 so I rarely need to access anything from the side.