586,640 active members*
2,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > CNC Milling Hardened Transmission Gears

CNC Milling Hardened Transmission Gears

Hi all,

I have been doing light CNC and lots of manual machining work; mostly with HSS and some cobalt cutters. This is the first time I am machining hardened gears to reduce mass. I would like to do the gears on the CNC and purchased some solid carbide cutters. My plan is to mill a groove as wide as the tool about 0.3125" deep total, flip the gear and do the groove again, then do a circular bolt pattern through the web I created.

Question is what rpm and feed rate should I be going at for the milling and the plunging process? Or should I use my cobalt end mills instead? I have rough and finishing end mills.

Thanks!

You will need to use carbide. Hopefully your machine is pretty beefy because you will need a lot of torque at very low speeds. Search for "machining hardened steel" for some example parameters. I don't have much experience with it myself.

Matt

How hard? 36 Rockwell C?

It might be easier

to anneal the gears, machine them in their softened condition, then send them out for heat-treating after you're done to restore the hardness.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Not sure what the hardness is but a fine file seems to just scratch the surface finish if that tells you anything.

I can have it tested on the Rockwell Tester next week.

After some researching, looks like they have a surface hardness of 58-60 HRC. That hardness is about 0.020-0.030" deep and below that would be 30-40 HRC.

My plan now is to get an indexable face grooving tool with carbide then do the bolt circle on the CNC

Now question is what speed on the lathe? I don't normally use carbide but understand I need a nice chip flow.

Don't rule out grinding as a possible way to remove material.

For stuff that hard, and if you have a rigid enough machine, I would look at ceramic compound tooling. I used to turn transmission input shafts that were not quite that hard, and they ate carbide up pretty fast.

Hmm ok, I'll check those out.
    However let's say I try carbide, which do you think sounds more favorable for the carbide? Doing the BCD with c-drill and drill first and have interrupted turning or do the BCD after and have the carbide exposed to more hardened material?

Uninterrupted is always better. Interrupted cuts beat the cutting edge repeatedly.

Matt