586,499 active members*
2,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

minimum shank insertion in ER25 collets

So after successfully cutting .75 inch MDF templates,
    I'd like to cut models in a stock with a width of 1.8 inch of hard wood.
    I was wondering if I could use a 3 inches long 1/2 inch diameter end mill inserted in an er25 collet to reach that depth ?
    Should I buy longer bits ? :drowning:

TIA for any help on that.

Sounds so dirty.

Just need to have 1.8 flute.

3 inches will insert fine for a long cut but will possibly not give enough clearance for swarf removal if the material is 1.8 inches thick, (you wrote wide but i'm assuming thick was what you meant?). You may find the cutter will burn the waste as it goes i'm guessing. Longer cutter or shallow cuts towards the end might be the way to go.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks a bunch Ian,
    I was indeed talking about depth with a maximum reach of 1.8 inch.
    I was thinking that, because I don't cut more than 1/4" inch per pass and never go over 100 ipm feed rate ; I should be OK on ash? Maybe not on hard maple though ?
    Also I have a 4 flute endmill bit which, if I am following what you explained ; would be less efficient that a 2 flutes for swarf removal, wouldn't it ?

I am just a hobbyist so reusing expensive bits when possible does matter to me

Two flutes will be far better for you in this case, in fact I don't personally see a benefit from hogging timber with 4 flutes. Maybe for real fine detail work they would be better. If you can't clear the chips reasonably well it will heat up and char pretty fast, but i've done similar many, many times. You'll quickly get the feel for it.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by fab672000 View Post
    Thanks a bunch Ian,
    I was indeed talking about depth with a maximum reach of 1.8 inch.
    I was thinking that, because I don't cut more than 1/4" inch per pass and never go over 100 ipm feed rate ; I should be OK on ash? Maybe not on hard maple though ?
    Also I have a 4 flute endmill bit which, if I am following what you explained ; would be less efficient that a 2 flutes for swarf removal, wouldn't it ?

I am just a hobbyist so reusing expensive bits when possible does matter to me
    Yeah. 2 flutes is better for most wood. If you have the horsepower to drive it, you can go more than 1/2D depth of cut (if you want to). Matching feed rate with RPM and depth of cut is part science, but mostly art.