586,512 active members*
3,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V24 Lathe - something simple I am missing?

V24 Lathe - something simple I am missing?

Hi,
    Trying to make inroads into V24 turn - I have a simple part - essentially a 1" diameter roller where one end is tapered - the surface is a part of an arc. I am trying to do a rough pass and a finish pass. The finish pass looks ok (so the geometry is selected right) but the rough pass seems to give up after a few cuts leaving the finishing pass with a lot of work to do near the end of the job. I am sure this is something obvious but it is beating me at the moment. Any ideas?
    Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

upload pictures

When you are using system comp BobCAD offsets the tool path based on the tool insert and the holder if defined.

upload images

But in your sample there seem to be an issue with the software offsetting for the tool where it doesn't need to be....

What I did is extend the od profile down the face just a tit and it seems to resolve that issue. ( band aid )

The other option would be to turn system comp off.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Thanks

hi Al,
    Thanks for this - I have put a tiny radius on the end of the part and that seems to have sorted it. Is this a bug then?
    Ian

System Comp OFF

Quote Originally Posted by xj5373 View Post
    hi Al,
    Thanks for this - I have put a tiny radius on the end of the part and that seems to have sorted it. Is this a bug then?
    Ian
    Looked at your file.

Just turn the "system comp" off and it will work fine, doesn`t work right and never has done on any version as far as I know, I don`t know anyone who uses it to be honest

Just do any "comp" you need at the machine control, much easier and better all round.

Regards

I've always used system comp in Bobcad for my Okuma lathe, both V24 and V25. Has always worked for me and made probably a couple hundred programs. But I did go through all the tools and was very specific when I set them all up in tool file. Other thing I normally do is snap small lines on and off the part that I use for leads instead on using the 'vector leads' built into bobcam. This way I am always sure of exactly where the tool is going, both on and off the part.