586,389 active members*
2,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Tormach PCNC1100 vs CNC Mill Drill

Question Tormach PCNC1100 vs CNC Mill Drill

Was wondering if anyone can compare the the Tormach with a converted RF31 mill drill. I have a CNCMasters Mill drill and was wanting to upgrade to a more solid mill. Dont get me wrong the mill drill has gotten my small business off the ground, and has paid for itself many times, but it is time to upgrade to a more solid mill. I am wanting to find somthing as solid as my upgraded emco f1 mill. My F1 will out perform the mill drill all day long on my smaller parts. I just dont want to purchase another mill drill. Maybe I should bit the bullet and spend the big bucks for a larger VMC. Thanks for your help.

Hi Sidoiler;

I haven't seen the Tormach in person yet. It is the type of investment where it would be a good idea to do so. I have to wonder if there will be a display at Cabin Fever or NAMES.

All that aside if you are in business you have to evaluate what your needs are based on the ability to pay for the hardware and attrack future business. The Tormach may be to small for that, but no one here knows as we are not involved in your business.

In any event I'd think seriously about a new machining center or an older one if you are into rebuilds. A fair compromise would be a Bridgeport conversion. It sounds like you built your business around small parts, that is if a mill/drill can handle it. So we are not talking about a huge machining center here.

As to the mill/drill keep it around but I'm with you on the resistance to buying another. I would almost want to rule out the Tormach as simply being to small to grow a business on, but that can be a mistake as it might fit just fine. I would look at the trade publications for vendors with similar hardware available. You should be able to find a number of smaller machining centers available from European, Japenese, Korean and possibly Chinese vendors. Shop around a bit.

Dave

I recently purchased a pcnc1100. I haven't got it running yet (still welding up a stand). However, I can tell you it is definately a step up from a mill drill in terms of design and ridgidity and mass. The quality looks good but I can't comment on performance yet. However, it is not even comparable to a low end VMC.

If you are currently using a mill/drill it may be suitable for your needs. However, if you want to do anything other than small runs or prototype work I would say forget it. Its just too slow (60ipm) and doesn't have enough spindle HP.

Just forgot to mention, I had a RF31 mill a long time ago and the pcnc1100 is WAY better (which isn't that hard really!). I wouldn't waste any money on a conversion for the RF31. At the very least get a square column mill.

Since the RF31 is not a good mill to convert, would the RF45 is a mill to convert to CNC?