586,307 active members*
3,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boxford on Mach software

I have a boxford VMC250 (1991 I think) which I intend to convert to run Mach software.

It has Parker digiplan SD3 Stepper drivers but I am unsure what the motors are as there is no identification. (they are 3.5" Dia 8 wires conected in pairs)

The spindle is driven by a variable speed DC Motor.

The steppers are controlled with a Bradford Instruments Controler with a serial I/P.

Will I have to use a different control board?
    Will the SD3 stepper drives still be usable?

Any help would be appreciated. I also have a Boxford 250 slant bed CNC lathe which will also need to be converted.

Arthur

Red face boxford 250 slant bed

this is a long shot and I know this post was years ago but I have aquired a boxford 250 slant bed with internal bbc board, it has had a floppy fitted so I presume the roms on the board ar dead. There is a disk in the floppy drive and it tries to boot every time the machine is switched on then fails. Any help from anyone would be apreciated, maybe someone has the roms from a retrofit or softwear on 3.5 floppy. A circuit diagram would be a bonus in case I have to retrifit.
    HELP, HELP,

Boxford

I completly stripped out all but the stepper drives, spindle drives and power supplies. I the installed a Cambell Breakout board and it now works well running Mach3.

If you want to keep it as standard checkout this website and give them a ring.
    I found them very helpfull and he certainly knows the boxford machines.

http://www.boxford-retro-cnc.co.uk/

Regards

Arthur

boxford 250

thanks for the fast response and the link, I will try them. Dont supose you have any of the old boards or bbc software?

many thanks
    john

Boxford

Sorry,

I did not keep any of the boards and I never had the software. That is why I changed to Mach3. I also did not know about boxford retro then.
    My Machine was a later model as it had already been upgraded to run with a PC which did not help as I did not have the Boxford software.

If you do decide to upgrade your machine I have an unused Campbell breakout board and can probably give you all the information you need to upgrade.

Does your machine have the tool changer? Is the speed range changed by changing the belt on the pulleys.
    My machine also had the pulleys removed and was fitted with a single speed pulley setup with the speed only controlled by the inverter drive.

Arthur