586,395 active members*
2,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 19 1234513
    I purchased from the seller (bsello168), as linked in the first post: New 10pcs C3/4 ER20A 1.38" Collet Chuck Straight Collet Chuck CNC Milling Lathe | eBay

The seller had at least 2 collet such holders in his store but both appeared to be identical. I ordered the items using the link from the original post - just to be sure!
    The flange diameter is the same as the diameter of the ER20 nut (+/-0.1mm). The tool holder pictured in the store clearly has a larger flange.
    Step

Still waiting for mine to be delivered, ordered 2 sets on the 4th, they just left Hong Kong. I was trying to be cautious and wait for feedback from those who received them, but I guess I should have waited longer.

Has anyone contacted the seller yet?

The set that I bought are just like the photo in the ad. They are 1.38" diameter on the large diameter, the same as the TTS holders I have here. They actually have 1.38" etched on them.

They all have 1.38 etched on them which I believe is the length of the 3/4" shank.
    I contacted the seller on ebay this morning about the difference, waiting to hear back..

I recently bought several tts er20 and setscrew holders. The large diameter on all of them is just shy of 1.5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by nicad View Post
    They all have 1.38 etched on them which I believe is the length of the 3/4" shank.
    I contacted the seller on ebay this morning about the difference, waiting to hear back..
    Oops, you're right. They are 1.5" which is the same as the TTS ones I have. The 1.380 must be the length and that number just stuck in my head. I used one today with a 1/8" engraving bit in stainless today and the tool didn't break so there's no runout problems.

Any update from the seller nicad?

I just got my order today, they have the smaller ~1.36" OD flange. What a pain. I suppose they would still be fine for drilling operations right? Just contacting the R8 collet instead of the spindle face.

The ones I bought were from seller "Yusing-Tools", and they are dimensionally identical to Tormach *except* for the height of the "collar". The spindle interface and under-cut are the same as my Tormach holders. For the price (<$300 including shipping for 20 pcs), one helluva deal!

Regards,
    Ray L.

More Bad News!!!!!

I just received my collet holders today and they are NOT TTS compatible..... The OD is 1.36 inch which is well under the 1.50 inch of the TTS holders.

Repeat: These will not work as TTS holders.....

The quality is nice, just to bad they messed up, as did I in purchasing them.

Robert

Hi all, I actually received a reply from "Yusing-Tools" last night (screen name ebay seller bsello168) and according to them, they have all the same size flanges.

I know it's not proper to copy and paste exact emails but it basically went like this:

The size is 1.38" of the flange diameter

we will has
    another one 1.5 diameter offer end of this month

it cann,t use if is
    1.38" diameter ?

sincerely
    Chen

-bsello168

So not sure what the others have? It's all too confusing but I'm not purchasing anything until I know for sure now.
    Dave->..

Yu_Sing and Collets

Re the reply from Yu-sing tools. I spent several years in China; here's my perspective and a recommendation.

Generally, Chinese factories selling to the west want to be good suppliers and provide good service. There are exceptions- but assume good intentions until proved otherwise (and remember they're working in a foreign language!). There are clearly two flange sizes, and it sounds as if the manufacturer didn't know there was an important difference which matters to many of us. Chen's last line can be restated as "You mean you can't use these if the diameter is 1.38! Wow! I didn't know that."

So. If you have the wrong size, contact the manufacturer and ask for a swap out if necessary.

If you haven't ordered and want to, be sure to specify ONLY the 1.5" diameter is acceptable. I'd expect that to be honored.

Fretsman, since you have a direct e-mail contact, you could help everyone by confirming that the 1.38 diameter can't be used with TTS and that replacements are needed for the smaller diameter, and that it would help to be able to specify the flange when ordering. Could you also post the e-mail you used for direct contact here?

If we treat this as an unintentional and understandable error by a manufacturer who didn't know there was a critical spec and was trying to ship good product quickly, I suspect Yusing will be helpful. I'd bet that Yusing ran through their stock of 1.5" flange and then shipped the alternate, exactly what could happen anywhere. It's a hassle, but give them a chance to make good.

Hi GL,

Agreed on your thoughts and observations and yes, I did in fact let him know that the 1.500" would definitely be a preferred size for the Tormach ATC (and other variants) in my reply to him this morning.

I do not have a direct email address for him, I just simply used the ebay messaging system, which I highly recommend anyone thinking about ordering these, to do first.

He was nice, as was I, and I'm hoping he'll clear this all up for us in an updated listing on ebay.

Dave
    Dave->..

Hi all,

Checked my stock today, as I ordered off the original post as well....

I have 9 that are ok and one that is the lesser diameter, so it would appear I might have been the lucky last.

Will contact seller tomorrow and see how he will respond, as I like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    .adrian

Interesting, Adrian, thanks for the info -

Dave
    Dave->..

I exchanged several emails with Chen a couple weeks ago discussing his collet chucks and the need for some alterations in order for them to work with the TTS collet and tool changer. He is very interested in making some that work and as Fretsman mentioned, he is making a new design now.

I just think their previous product was supposed to be a 'quick change ER collet' and using them with the TTS system or their tool changer wasn't part of that design.

I just sent Chen some information he requested on the TTS holders...... Hopefully this will get sorted out and we can all have a second source for holders.

I also deal with off-shore contractors at the day job.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's just the way things are these days. IMHO.

Robert

Hi All,

Just an update - I have had zero response from the supplier, after several attempts to contact through ebay. Due to me not picking the fact that 1 was different out of the batch of 10 until after it was too late.

Thanks to the people on the forum that worked it out.

Not going to lambast the seller here, but just caution any buyer to be extremely careful in detailing requirements prior to hitting the feedback button.

Conclusion - happy with the 9 that I got, wouldn't buy from again due to the lack of communication.

Cheers,
    .Adrian

Not much luck here either.....

I have attempted to send the seller a drawing as he requested but no response so have pretty much written this adventure off as a learning experience. Bummer for all, as I would have purchased more tooling had they corrected the original parts.

Robert

Just wanted to mention that I see Chen has put up the newest version of these with the 1.5" diameter flange.

Also wanted to ask why those of you who did not receive what you were after, did not use the ebay/Paypal protection? I'm guessing because of how much it would cost to ship back to the seller (with tracking of course)?

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 3 of 19 1234513