586,345 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach2 inverted engraving

Mach2 show on the screen the image the correct way, however when is executed it turn out to be Up side Down and Back to Front. Any suggestion of what happens??
    Thank you
    engraver

Sounds like you have the axis directions backwards. Make sure that when you set your direction up that you are looking at the TOOL not the table. If you move the X axis in the positive direction the TOOL must move that way, the table will move the opposite way.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Jeff,
    from keyboard the axis move the right way, on the screen the (green) toolpath line follows the image correctly but the engraving is still upside down and back to front. If I change anything else than the axis will move the wrong way.
    Thanks
    engraver

I should find out what style your machine is. Is your CNC like a standard vertical mill or does it have a moving gantry?

So when you press the 'Right Arrow' key which way does the table move or the gantry move?

If you have the axis setup correctly then I don't have an answer for you.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Its a fixed gantry style. The work table Y move from south(home) to north, above it the X is homed to the left hand and Z all the way up. When moving the DRO display "+...." for X & Y and "-..." for Z. Same engraving file if used with a software other than Mach2 is cut the right way but the sotware makes the motor sound terrible.The Right Arrow makes X move to the right.
    Thanks
    engraver

I still think you have one axis not correctly setup in Mach 2. But were getting close now. Tell me, is your plan to HOME in the positive direction for X and Y OR is it to home in the negitive direction for X and Y. I can see that you home in the positive direction for Z (UP).

How about the UP/Down arrow. Which way does the moving table move?
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

I would have to agree with Jeff, try changing the direction of the moving table axis and try again.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Operator facing machine:
    X homed= +0 to left side, right arrow move it to right, DRO always +....
    Y homed= +0 toward operator, up arrow moves it away from operator, DRO always +....
    Z homed all up=+0, DRO changes from +...to -.... when moving.
    Two Limit Swt. on each axis.
    I suspect Home can be relocated.

Thanks
    engraver

I know this may sound silly, but on a conventional mill, we refer to the spindle moving in X+, the spindle is not actually moving anywhere, but the table is feeding left. When the spindle is feeding in Y+, the spindle is not moving towards the machine column, but the table is moving away from the column.

So you see, it is a "frame of reference" problem. The best way to keep it all straight, is this: if the tool is cutting a path through the part, towards the right side of the part, that is an X+ movement.

That direction defines the universal "zero degree" direction, or start point. The left end of this line could be called X0Y0. Then starting from the right end of this cut line line and rotating around the left end point, counterclockwise, 90 degrees,(looking down on the table), you come to the Y+ axis. Any cut where the tool progresses towards that edge of the part is a Y+ movement.

Confused?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

+1 HU
    The tool moves, I don't care what anybody says.
    Thats the way I was taught and its served me well.
    No confusion

PEACE

A "conventional" mill does not confuse me, I sit on one every day.
    As a novice to cnc software setup Mach2 is not very clear in many areas,
    it assumes everyone knows about it as much as its Author
    and the same apply to many other cnc software out there.
    Its a pity, if only the Author would make that extra effort no one
    will object paying a bit more for it.
    On the other hand if was too clear would a forum exist ??
    engraver

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that you knew how it should look, but obviously, you already have a good handle on that.

So then, it should be a "simple matter" of changing your axis parameters around until it suits you, assuming your CAD software uses a conventional view.

If you cannot change your axis parameters in software (to invert the motions), then you can perhaps rewire your motor/encoders to run opposite rotation?

I just started using DeskART with Turbocnc and having the same problem. The depth of the image is inverted. All the low spots are high. Everything else I cut with Gcode from VisualMill works fine.

Any ideas?

Steve

You could invert your image before you have Deskart creat G code
    That should work...................Jim

Jim,
    I had the same idea, your suggestion is simple and goes around all the tech mambo jambo. Any other simple idea how to get Mach2 to read files 2 to 4 Mb size?
    Thanks
    engraver

If it is a software issue, then complain to the developer about it. Most programmers are only too happy to fix what is not working right.

It looks I would have to wait till the author fix the issue.
    Thanks
    engraver