586,441 active members*
3,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Universal Laser Systems 2.0 Lens

Hi all,

I am looking for a cost effective replacement lens for my Universal Laser X2-660 120W machine. I have heard that there are much cheaper alternatives with relation to the $230 lens Universal sells.

I need a 2.0 Focus, 19.05mm Diameter, 2.0mm thickness lens. I am confused on what to get between a Meniscus or PL-CX type structure of lens?? I am looking at trying a few of these, but do not know what type to get Co2/yag Laser Equipment Focusing Lens - Buy Focusing Lens,Co2 Measuring Instrument,Optical Instrument For Physics Product on Alibaba.com

Does anyone have insight as to where, and what kind of lens I should buy? I am able, but dont really want to buy the lenses from universal, as they are going to be needing replacement every so often in high production. $20 vs $230 ever couple months makes for a big difference.

Thanks

Meniscus is a shape, and easily confused with Plano - Convex. Surface coatings may also be an issue (AR one side?) it may be worth finding out the exact spec of the Universal lens before ordering one from China.

I'd go with a 3/4 inch (diam) ZnSe with a 50.8 focal from china from probably Ebay (Meniscus format) and mount with the curve side uppermost but as I said, check before jumping, mistakes can be expensive on a universal

best wishes

Dave

Ya, I didn't really notice that it had a curved side, but the definition of meniscus, means just that. After investigating, its is a plano-convex lens. There is a slight curve in the lens I broke, and the curve is facing upwards in the focal carriage, the other side is flat. The diam is 19.05mm, by 2.0mm thick, and is a 2.0 factory focal lens.

Any suggestions as to where I should look at buying one of these cheaper than at a Universal dealer? I soaked this one in acetone to get it out of the carriage, and have read that you can glue a new one in with loctite 403 superglue.

I will also look at ebay, thanks Dave for your help, you gave me insight to plano-convex, must of been sleeping on that physics day.

Attached is a photo of my sad lens...

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0666[1].jpg