Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I think my understanding is correct in that an ATC will, when correctly set up, automatically change tools using G-Code in LinuxCNC/Mach3.

But I am still unsure about how intelligent popular software is in working with an ATC, with regard to the CAM/preprocessor/tool path generation:

Surely for high end $$$ CAM/'tool path generation software', you feed the software a 3d CAD file you wish to machine, and then it automatically works out the tool paths, given a certain machine and tool collection. Surely for these high end software packages, the software intelligently works out automatically which tool to use when, in order to optimise the speed of the machine or to limit the damage to smaller tools etc.

I was wondering if any such features were available for popular packages e.g. Mastercam etc, or how one could go about it without spending a million dollars.

A Manual method??:

@aldepoalo
You just create tool paths for each tool in the order you want them to cut and when it comes to a tool change, the machine goes and grabs the tool for you.
Say you wanted to use a big tool first and then a small tool:

Does this mean you tell the CAM/tool path generation software to machine your CAD file using a defined version of your large tool --> which generates gcode

...and then you repeat with a define version of your small tool --> which generates gcode

...and then you combine the gcodes, including adding the gcode for auto tool change, which you feed to LinuxCNC/Mach3?

is this how to do it?

Multiple tools with CAM software

@ger21
"Generally, the users makes the decision on which tools to use for which operations...If you need more than one tool for a job, the CAM software will add a toolchange command to the g-code so that Mach3 knows when to change tools."

Great. So there is a way to tell popular CAM packages to work with multiple tools.
If you need more than one tool for a job, the CAM software will add a toolchange command to the g-code

Does the CAM software work this out automatically? e.g. if there isn't enough clearance. Can you instruct the CAM software to use a large tool first then smaller tool?

Thanks again for the help

Senthil