586,117 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone buy a Steve Simpson 4th Axis?

Anyone buy a Steve Simpson 4th Axis?

Thanks to CNC COOKBOOK pointing it out I now cant get it out of my head. It looks like one hell of a deal for around $2000 fully loaded, but I'm curious what I would need to actually use it.

I have a G540 with 3 steppers and I'm electronically challenged. As I understand it I would have to buy a servo separate, encoder, driver, bob, PS, and figure out how to add another PP to my control computer... Is that right? I'm thinking this is what its needed because the open driver on my G540 cant run a larger servo???

I have a friend thats good with computers that could help with the pp, but how would one configure the computer (or mach3) to send signals to the 2nd pp only for A axis moves?

Or am I way off?

I assume that Steve's fourth axis runs a single servo as well as an encoder and or a home switch. I am online via my phone right now, so it's not easy for me to look up details.

I am thinking about the fact that the g540 has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. I see no reason why you could not use the 2 outputs to control a servo driver, using them as step and direction pins, and use some of the 4 inputs, home switch, or whatever else this axis has.

I would suggest buying gecko products, that way you can ask them about compatibility issues.

Frederic

Hello. I was just informed about this thread, so I though I'd poke my nose in and provide some current info and answer questions.

Here is the latest video showing the latest 4th axis with an all new D1-4 heavy duty custom made spindle.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlQgMk6te_Y]4th Axis Mega-Duty introduction including design, build and install details - YouTube[/ame]

Some specs are avaialble on this new web site:
    WebPageMain

Thanks for replying!

I actually emailed back and forth with you a good bit about buying your test unit, but ended up starting a production run that will have me shoveling chips out of my enclosure for the next few months. No time to play with a new toy, but on the bright side it will pay for one of the new ones. As soon as I geta check for the first 300 parts I'll be joining the waiting list.

Again... AMAZING work you have done!

I always enjoy watching Steve's videos!

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I have one of Steve's early models. I have the trunnion table and the tail stock (which I know is his first tail stock and it's a beautiful of machinery!)

I was wanting to build something similar to what he's already done. But I quickly gave up on that idea after seeing his 4th axis. And Steve being local to me was a huge deciding factor. (Fellow Texan, even if I am a transplant).

It's my 2nd 4th axis and I've gotten amazing results from this piece of machinery. Steve was very helpful in helping me get it setup. The results are just awesome!!! My first 4th axis was a Sherline.

It may seem pricey at first, but for what you get, it's well worth the price of admission. For me, this is as close to an industrial 4th axis/trunnion table as I think I'm gonna get from a small (part time) business budget.

I know when I go to upgrade my CNC machine, Steve's 4th axis will be moving to the new table. If not moved, a new 4th axis from Steve.

Steve, Thank you for all the cool products you are making! Keep up the amazing job!

very nice to hear. I can't wait to be able to order one!!

You are from Flower Mound, where is Steve? I am in the Conroe area. I watch every video he puts out. Truly inspirational stuff. I really liked his keyway broaching/scraping technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    I have one of Steve's early models. I have the trunnion table and the tail stock (which I know is his first tail stock and it's a beautiful of machinery!)

I was wanting to build something similar to what he's already done. But I quickly gave up on that idea after seeing his 4th axis. And Steve being local to me was a huge deciding factor. (Fellow Texan, even if I am a transplant).

It's my 2nd 4th axis and I've gotten amazing results from this piece of machinery. Steve was very helpful in helping me get it setup. The results are just awesome!!! My first 4th axis was a Sherline.

It may seem pricey at first, but for what you get, it's well worth the price of admission. For me, this is as close to an industrial 4th axis/trunnion table as I think I'm gonna get from a small (part time) business budget.

I know when I go to upgrade my CNC machine, Steve's 4th axis will be moving to the new table. If not moved, a new 4th axis from Steve.

Steve, Thank you for all the cool products you are making! Keep up the amazing job!

Steve,

Very nice job on the new indexer.

A bit of confusion though. In your video at about the 1:45 mark (boring the bearing seats), it talks about using ABEC 7 bearings while at around 4:45 (D1 runout check) it says ABEC 3 bearings are used... You might want to make that a bit clearer.

bob

WOW!

Now that really is a Mega-Duty 4th axis!
    Yowza!

Hats off to Steve
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

I have been watching all the videos on this amazing 4th axis.I wonder what would be the smallest mill that you could put it on?

I'd like to get some feedback on the pre-Mega versions of Steve's 4th axis - has anyone here used one?

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I'd like to get some feedback on the pre-Mega versions of Steve's 4th axis - has anyone here used one?

Thanks, Mike
    I have one of the early Steve's prototypes. Running great so far.