586,892 active members*
4,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 8 5678

Re: I love my Tormach, but...

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I did have some issues when the pdb release button was pushed with the spindle running, It knocked the pdb nut balance rings out a bit, they are close now but not perfect, need to find one of those "roundtuits"
    I have since made up a relay lockout setup for it, works nice for manual drilling etc. A simple phone cabe will work also on the factory setup.

The main problem I have now is the computer, windows, and Mach! I would spend some serious bucks for a dedicated controller if and when Tormach comes out with one.
    I spent the day yesterday getting the spindle back in balance, at least as perfect as I can get it, I was getting the vibration pattern in the finish cuts again, I havent machined anything yet but the spindle is smooth at 5140. There is no sheetmetal vibration now, just a bit of a whirring sound from the fenner belt. I have a spindle lockout on the machine now so this spindle nut- PDB problem shouldnt happen again.
    mike sr

Yeah, I was just going to say, I can't operate the PDB when spindle is running. Unlike my new GT-27... I just ran a bar (50 parts) and... zero parts were produced, lol. Had the collet open, and first op was drilling so it pushed the bar back, and then during bar pull op it couldn't grab it.

What's up guys ! Brad out of these two, which is the Tormach S2 finish ?

I'd say the bottom *photo* looks better.
    I'm not Brad though.

I agree

Ding ding B as you guys can tell is a very nice finish (Mori), but the little engine that could wasn't that far behind.

You're right, the top one is also quite nice looking. I should have said that earlier... I was thinking it.

Were they both cut the same way (within reason)? Like, were they both cut using the same speed and feed, same cut depth and width, and using the same kind of tool? I have to assume they are the same material. Another couple metrics I would be curious about would be tool length (let's say from the spindle nose, including the holder) and TIR.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    What's up guys ! Brad out of these two, which is the Tormach S2 finish ?

I sure like your finishes and parts Chris!
    mike sr

To bad the other thread got shut down, lol. Hopefully some of those guys watch my videos I posted in the last post.

Yeah, but neither of those are exceptional. Is that a factor?

Guy who has a Speedio in his garage, lol

I'm just saying the end user doesn't care what tool is being used, their expectations are based on what is possible. This is straight off the machine finish - not my parts, but a good example of great surface finish.

With small tools it gets easier as the machine and tool holder rigidity get less important.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

That is off a Tormach? Give us all the parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    That is off a Tormach? Give us all the parameters.
    Those did NOT come off a Tormach, or any other low-cost Chinese mill. Those were done on a FAR more expensive commercial VMC, and probably took a loooooooong time to machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

My point. This is a TORMACH thread. If someone was making those parts on a Tormach... Then all common sense is lost in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    My point. This is a TORMACH thread. If someone was making those parts on a Tormach... Then all common sense is lost in this world.
    Yeah, but he's showing what's possible with a more expensive machine, however unrealistic it is to think an inexpensive hobby machine could ever reach that level of finish.

Regards,
    Ray L.

My point is, "I love my tormach (hobby machine)", but it will never provide exceptional surface finish. And if you are a person building product to sell then the customer does not care about your equipment limitations. And a photo showing the same quality of surface created on a Tormach and then a Mori is not telling the full story.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    I'm just saying the end user doesn't care what tool is being used, their expectations are based on what is possible. This is straight off the machine finish - not my parts, but a good example of great surface finish.

With small tools it gets easier as the machine and tool holder rigidity get less important.
    I don't care what anyone says, those 2 parts do NOT have machine finishes. I have been machining for over 50 years and I have run some pretty sophisticated machines and I have NEVER seen a part come off the machine with an almost polished finish like those. I have seen some fine machine finishes, but never like those.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Some of it is machine-finished - the top surface is clearly face-milled. The angled surface is clearly 3D machined with a very fine stepover. I am, however, skeptical about the finish on the side faces. Either those were polished, or the angle and lighting simply obscure the machining marks. I believe it's the latter. If you magnify the image about 400%, there are what look like machining marks.

Regards,
    Ray L.

has it been established that the part in jid2s pics are indeed the 6061 most of you are limited to experience with? an alloy with more zinc will give a nice shiny finish right off the machine, yes even on a tormach. there are a lot more alloys out there used in the industry than 6061.
    walt

Page 7 of 8 5678