586,652 active members*
2,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant drain son VF2

Hi,

We have 3 VF2s.

2 of them are year 2000 model, 1 is a 2005.

On my 2000 model, the coolant drain screen which drains the collant to the coolant tank always gets blocked by chips during machining. As a result, the collant gets backed up in the "main" area, the coolant in the tank goes low, air gets in etc....

With parts that are quick to machine, this is not problem. When we open the door to switch the parts, we give a quick blast of air which clears the chips from the drain and coolant goes trough.

We are now making "longer" parts which take around 15 minutes and this is causing a problem. We have to add a "pause" in the program to clear this screen.

We are thinking of drilling extra holes to make this screen bigger but want to have suggestions as this probably happens to others... and I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling the cnc.

Thanks !

Pharkas

What I did was make something that mounts over the screen and rotates when the auger is on and sweeps the chips into the auger.

JWH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized vf2.jpg  

You can buy something like this for HAAS machines. Google "chipinator" and you find it and can watch videos on line.

JWH

Don't drill holes! You will just get more chips in the sump.

The chipinator is a marginal solution.
    Tim

JWH...yikes. Looks like you emptied the bottom of the trash truck in that machine...but your inator looks better than the one I got!
    Tim

I made a "bubble" with some window screening, a few strips of aluminum, and some magnets to keep aluminum from clogging the drain or plastic from getting into the tank and clogging up the pump. The bubble increased the surface area a ton and the magnets made it easy to remove and blow off every couple parts.

The auger driven ninja star is genius. I'd be stealing the idea if I still ran machines.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

Tim (WallyL7),
    I have been fly cutting black Delrin without coolant. That is what the black stuff is. Yea the machine looks like $#!t in the picture.

Jim