586,884 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Why are things so difficult?

I currently have a home built CNC router that I built.
    I use Mach3 to control it and usually use AutoCAD and Aspire software.

I do a lot of wooden models and I am looking to adapt a laser to do some cutting/engraving.

For cutting I would like something that would cut 1/4" thick wood but I would settle for 1/8" if costs are that much different.

Since I already have a CNC setup I don't need a complete machine, just the laser part.

My question is what I wound need in terms of a laser and where would I get one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    GarK

Woww. That must be a long list~

laser power supply, laser tube, laser head, lens & mirrors, controlling system, card, drivers, and their powersupply.. too many.. can't write completely.

Hi
    You need:
    Laser, Laser power supply and lens if you can set laser vertically.
    If not you must add few laser mirrors.
    That is all for cutting.
    If you need engraving you need new machine :-)
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Your router will not be near fast enough for engraving and may even be on the slow side for cutting. Going for a "one-size-fits-all" solution always spells trouble IMHO. Better get a dedicated machine.

I estimate it will cost you at least $750 -1500 (upper end if you want engraving) to do it And you will end up with a severely compromised machine which will be difficult to set up for either way routing or lasering
    All sorts of other things needed like air assist (you cant cut without it) , a chiller to cool the tube , fume extractors and and and and.....
    Rather buy one..

Thanks for the replies.

OK, so I can forget the engraving.

How much speed do you need for cutting?

Can you point me in the right direction to finding some parts?

Thanks

Tweakie here has done a lot of related work. Search his posts.

Matt

You will need a tube , 60w about $200 , a tube power supply $100 , some mirrors and mirror holders $100 , a lens and nozzle assembly , $100 , some control card or a way to vary power - $100 ? Air assist compressor and plumbing $150 , extractor and hoses etc , $150 , chiller $200 - so how much so far...$1100....add at least another 25% for unexpected problems...

You might save quite a bit scrounging for some of those items...

The issue is that even if you configure it for cutting only , it will be a huge mission to reconfigure the machine for routing and then vice versa.

You would be seriously better off buying a new well made machine in the $2000 mark than trying the retrofit

Thanks Rodney,

What machine could I get for $2000 and where would I get it?

That sounds like something I could afford.

Thanks

I bought my machines from Shenhui in Liaocheng city. I went to their factory and was impressed (May last year). They have machines in that price bracket that are really well built. They are having a special on some models built in 2011 but never used , there was a 60w 700x400 for something like $1700 - not sure if they still have it..

G Weike post a lot on this board , maybe they also have something?

Look here for more info on the Shenuis and their factory as well as some other commentary on my china trip...
    Chinese/Shenui/Laserworks tips and tricks thread

That sounds very promising. Do you have a link for a site where I can actually get the details and purchase one? All the site I have found seem rather generic.

What are the model numbers of a couple of their smallest units?

Looks like I'm making some progress!

Thanks
    Gary

I dealt with Shenui over skype (typing not phoning) , contact name Blanca yan - skype name blanca610616
    If you wanna buy from other co's it's far easier to deal with em on skype....ask them for their skype names...

I have never skyped before.

Do you have a model number(s) and a website I can check it out at?

If you are looking to start using Skype just go to Free Skype internet calls and cheap calls to phones online - Skype and join up. I have been using it for some time now to stay in touch with the family. If you need any more help, my skype ID is milton.maxson.

Milt

I really have no interest in skype.

I just want to "see" what I might be buying and not talking to someone I don't know, who is going to tell me how wonderful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gkemper View Post

I just want to "see" what I might be buying and not talking to someone I don't know, who is going to tell me how wonderful it is.
    Guess you will have to travel to China then and get to know some of the manufacturers. Ever met a sales person who will not try to convince you how wonderful their product is?

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    Guess you will have to travel to China then and get to know some of the manufacturers. Ever met a sales person who will not try to convince you how wonderful their product is?
    Exactly what I said.

That's why I want to get a model number and read the actual specs on the product so I can make up my own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gkemper View Post

Everyone communicates via skype in China , but you wont be talking to the person but typing..(you wouldn't understand each other voice to voice)
    You can transfer files quickly on it so you can get quotes and brochures , pics , software to try etc.
    Skype is free and its a great business tool if you want to deal with China.

Most of the Chinese web sites have just basic info on the machine with a few pictures. Best thing to do is find out who owns one and get their feedback--they arent trying to sell you a machine, and they can tell you what its like living with it.

So I'm back to "Why are things so difficult? "

Page 1 of 2 12