586,103 active members*
2,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Definition of "minimum shaping character"?

I am new to laser cutting and need to know what "minimum shaping character" means.

Can anyone explain or point me in the right direction to a definition?

Thanks!

Probably minimum readable character - accomplished when you going downhill with the wind from behind

I am with Rodney...it is the smallest possible character that is readable.

Milt

OK, so this doesn't have anything to do with how small a shape can be cut? This has to do with laser engraving a letter (character) and it's readability?

The laser I am looking at has .001" resolution which sounds OK but ".040" minimum shaping character" didn't mean a thing to me. I'm a machinist not an engraver. I assume the .003"-.004" diameter laser burn has some effect on how small something can be cut from the standpoint of geometry. Obviously I can't cut a .002" diameter hole but I assume I can cut a .005" diameter hole?

You have me on that one. Someone with more experience will have to chime in. I do know that I get a smaller laser spot using a 25.4mm focus lens, but that is mainly for engraving. Sorry, not much help on this one.

Milt

"minimum shaping character" means NOTHING.
    This is only trading ble, ble, ble
    Every "newbee" looks for any numbers to compare machines quality.
    So sellers found "minimum shaping character".
    And now EVERY chinese machine makes "minimum shaping character 1mm"
    This is 100% trading fake.
    Nobody ever tried to cut this 1mm "shaping character"
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

You will struggle to get a spot size of 0.005" with the types of lasers referred to here. Even with ultra short focal length focus lenses , work on a value closer to 0.007-0.01". A readable character would be 5-7x the spot size. (1mm at 5x assumes a spot size of 0.008")
    There is also another consideration re smallest character size , 1mm is really not that readable under normal circumstance and 1mm might only be achievable in a vector type mode and not in raster (back and forth scanning)
    As to laser machining , apart from spot size , there are all other types of considerations as to how fine you can go like the motion system , the focus lens , the beam quality , how the material reacts and so forth. I doubt you will be able to cut a good round 0.005" hole.

Rodney,

Thanks! Your info is very useful and was just what I was looking for!