586,745 active members*
6,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 500 Tool Change Problem

Arrow 500 Tool Change Problem

Hey guys,
    The tool change process can not be completed since the position of the "key" on the spindle is not aligned with the "key" position on the tool. These two keys are supposed to work together to fix the position of the tool. While now they seem to be 90 degrees away from each other on the spindle. The following alarm came out:

Alarm 39-28.

Cause: The spindle drawbar is not clamped.

Remedy: Check the air supply to the drawbar.

Use the pendant DB Unclamp button to test the operation of the drawbar. Make sure the operator door is open, and the TOOL SETUP option is selected on the pendant. The correct solenoid/proximity switch signals are as follows.

SL_TL_UNCL OFF for Clamp and ON for Unclamp
    PR_TL_CLMP ON for Clamp and Off for Unclamp
    PR_TL_UNCL OFF for Clamp and ON for Unclamp

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot

For the turned spindle you must enter the correct value into your parameteres.
    Try this by entering M19 in MDI. If you have a anglereadout of your spindle, than you can turn it manually to the right position and add the value to the programmed value in the parameters.

If your spindle key collides with the flange of your toolholder the drawbar cannot closed correctly, therefore you get some unclamp faults. That should be gone if Key and keyhole are in the right position.

Uli12US, I don't think you understand how the tool change orientation works on these machines. There is a parameter in the control for the M19, but this is not used for the tool change orientation. I wrote a detailed explanation of how this works previously, so won't get into it now, but the tool change orientation is handled in the Spindle drive.

Exactly how to set this varies depending on the drive package/software version of your control, so would need more info to guide you, but based on your description, the orientation doesn't seem to be the problem anyway.

The alarm is telling you the control doesn't see the signal indicating the drawbar is clamped. You need to find out if the drawbar is not fully clamped, or if it is clamped but your are not getting the signal from the prox switch.

Hi Maver1ck,
    Good to hear from you again.

Hi uli12us,
    Thanks for the input.

I think the drawbar is fully clamped since I checked the "tool unclamp" function and it is working fine. The only problem now is that the key and keyhole are always 90 degrees away from each other (is checked by M19). We have never seen it before.

In general, if you replaced the spindle drive, spindle motor, or spindle belts, your orientation will be off, and will need to be set again, (but I can't see how this would cause the alarm you are getting) otherwise it shoud not need to be set. Most of these machines require the ATC orientation be set directly in the drive using a 3rd party software package (the Siemens 611 system is the only one I can think of that doesn't, in which case, replacing the hard drive could also throw the ATC orientation off). If this needs to be reset, need to know what software and drives you have to help you further.

However, based on the alarm you are getting, if the drawbar is mechanically clamping and unclamping as it should, the most likely scenario is that the prox switch for the clamp signal isn't working. To verify this, remove the cover over the spindle (unless your machine has the removable panel at the front of the spindle), and watch the 3 prox switches as you clamp and unclamp the drawbar.

The 3 switches are:
    1) clamped with tool
    2) clamped without tool
    3) unclamped

If you watch the indicators while clamping and unclamping the drawbar, it should be easy to determine which prox switch performs each function.

Keep in mind, just because the light on the prox switch is working, does not mean the signal is getting to the control.

Maverick, I know that M19 is not often the position of the tool changer, but its a definite position where the keyhole of the toolholder looks normaly in the 6o'clock position viewed from above. If you determine, the position is different, you know in which direction and value you must change the parameter. Or if the control is too old, there is a mechanical solution, where a cam must be set to the correct position, that should be independent from motor, drive or belt.

If the keyhole of the toolholder collides with the matching key of the spindle, the tool can't slip completely into it, also the clamped with tool prox-switch can't work. If he tool is correctly clamped and no Signal comes from the switch than either the switch is defective, the cable is broken or the cam isn't in the right position.

I removed the cover over the spindle and watched the 3 prox switches while hits the "Tool Unclamp" button. Two at the bottom were on and flashed once when unclamping. One at the top was off and flashed once when unclamping. I think that is a sign that they are working properly?

You should notice the numbers of the switches and look, if the PLC shows the same action.
    If not, than the signal wire is broken. If you can see a light but no change if the cam is near the switch than you must adjust the distance of the switch.

Thanks for all the help. The problem now is solved.

The Mechanical Configuration of the spindle C is not consistent with the manual. From the encoder detail, the line/rev is four times as the orginal one. We put it back and everything works well now.

Cheers!