Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
I stand corrected. The way I read comments I interpreted them as negative (sorry) Also the class is the 21st(typo) there is a listing on ebay if anyone is intrested with 2 seats left.
No problem, it looks like the guy is off to a good start!
Lastly as someone who has never scraped before, what would the ball park cost of having a machine this size scraped in cost?
It has been a very long time since one was done at work, so I don't have a price for you. A business though would likely be charging well over $60 an hour. Hopefully someone that has had work done on a machine recently can comment. Just from following this thread you can see that lots of time is involved. A professional tool rebuilder might put machine parts like this on a way grinder to start.
Ryan seems to have access to another mill that he can make tools to assist in the scraping process. Some of us may not and a iron straght edge on ebay seems pretty expensive and thats just one of the tools plus, the amount of time put into the actual process.
This is a huge problem in a home shop. Your only option is to have somebody else fabricate the straight edge or find a suitable one in the marketplace. As for the surface plated it may be desirable to get one for your shop. They are very useful to have around.
24 1/2" Cast Iron Camel Back Dovetail Straight Edge | eBay
thats just one tool needed. Would my cost of all tools needed exceed the cost to have it done commercially?
Probably not. Straight edges seem to be as rare as hens teeth and the people owning them seem to value them highly as you can see by that price. I'm not sure why this is the case, the casting is fairly simple. One person I know of recommended searching junk yards for scrapped machine where you might be able to cut the ways outand reuse them as straight edges. To me that seems a little extreme when one can simply machine one out of cast iron bar suitable for our machines.