586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser not firing

We have an XYZ-tech.com 1325 Laser with an 80W Reci Tube and Power supply and a 6535 controller. Today it was cutting a job and it stopped cutting but keep moving. I checked the coolant flow...it is there...I bypassed the flow switch...still did not fire. The Power Supply fan is not running. Any suggestions on what to check next? The machine has been used pretty steadily for the last 5 months.

Tom

In my recent experience with a 150W RECI, I had arcing issues and then after a time the laser stopped firing (which it would do when not busy arcing!)

I basically tried all the settings and things I could find....mainly on off, check the fuses, etc. Then I tried the "test" button on the laser power supply (used a plastic stick, arcing is a little off-putting).....still nothing.

So, changed out the power supply to a spare I purchased at the same time as the main machine and up and running again the same as before.....which in the end was not good as the arcing continued and now I am awaiting a new RECI tube.

So, short answer is check the fuse, electrical connections etc. If the power supply has two lights (green and orange I think), then that is normal (normal does NOT mean it can't be dead, just that the good power supply would have those two lights on), and try the test button. If that doesn't work, get a new power supply.

And, make sure you wrap the heck out of the spliced connections for the new power supply in high voltage tape....took me a few times to get that right.

The guru's might have another item or two to try?

Greg

I had to replace the power supply on my unit...sympton--fan was not running on the power supply after being turned on.

Milt

I will check connections tightness today ...the high voltage cable had fallen (wire ty mount come lose) and was touching the frame but I did not see any arching marks so I put a piece of plastic between it and the frame as well as held it up again.

I don't remember seeing any lights on the power supply...I am assuming they are on the input connection side somewhere....I will check again. What input voltage from the controller should I be getting?

Where would the fuses be?

I do not have a spare power supply...is there anyone in the US stocking Reci supplies and tubes?

Tom

Fuses should be where the power cords hook up on the machine side, just below on my machine. Lights on power supply are right by the input voltage as you guessed.

Certainly check all connections, but the wire tie giving way should not matter. (and the plastic won't help either, if it want's to arc, it will go around the plastic). Input voltage to the power supply should be either 110v or 220, ie wall voltage.

As for spares, rabbit laser, hurricane laser, turnkey laser (behind chineselasersupport forum I think) should all be able to help, probably a few others too. Alternatively, someone here might be able to help, or look to EBay. A RECI supply is better, supposedly, but a "regular" ps will work too.

Greg

There is a fuse INSIDE the Reci power supply , check that it's not blown.

The fuse was blown...I replaced it with the same size and it continues to blow...I used fast acting fuses...maybe I should have bought time delay ones.

The cathode wire had broken off too for some reason...maybe it was weak and as I pulled it apart it broke.

I am afraid there is something wrong with the power supply that keeps blowing the fuses.

Slow blow fuse did not fix it...as soon as we turn laser on key switch it blows the fuse. We check the wiring and circuit board for arcs and shorts and have found nothing...I guess the PS is toast. New PS on the way...old one goes back for warranty service.

Tom

Power supply was bad...we replaced and up and running with 45 minutes after receipt of new power supply.