586,393 active members*
2,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Is there a trick to 3d chamfering?

Is there a trick to 3d chamfering?

I'm trying to use 3d chamfer and it kinda works but the chamfers are not consistent. Heavy on one wall and light to non-existent on another.

Is there trick to this? Certain settings to use to make it right?

Are you sure you are picking the correct entities to chain?

yes.... it verifies ok. I've had this problem before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.jpg  

I'd also like to hear if there's a trick to this. In the past I chalk it up to the inaccuracies of something being machined versus the virtual models, but I've had cases where the two edges being chamfered were entirely 3d surfaced, and I had to make a dummy chain to get it consistent. Weird stuff...

I've never had any luck with 3D chamfering either. The only way I've been able to work around it is to make a scallop finish 3D toolpath with the chamfer as the drive and all surrounding surfaces as check surfaces. With a large stepover, I've been able to get it to only make one pass around the chamfer just like 3D chamfer SHOULD work. Of course this only works with ball nose tools and small chamfers.

I will have to make up a solid to look at work arounds for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    I've never had any luck with 3D chamfering either. The only way I've been able to work around it is to make a scallop finish 3D toolpath with the chamfer as the drive and all surrounding surfaces as check surfaces. With a large stepover, I've been able to get it to only make one pass around the chamfer just like 3D chamfer SHOULD work. Of course this only works with ball nose tools and small chamfers.
    neither have i and i got tired of the problems it causes me. now i just use a ball nose and a surfacing toolpath.

I have used this sequence for deburring with a ball endmill only so far but it should work for any size chamfer/edge break.

Easiest way I found was to:
    1. Fillet edge of solid to whatever size you need - I usually do a .005 radius
    2. Create a surface on the new fillet(s)
    3. Offset surface half diameter of ball endmill
    4. Create curve flowline (I think)
    5. On ribbon bar, select number
    6. Enter 3
    7. Select surfaces one at a time
    8. Lines need to be going in line with surface, not across them - flip if necessary
    9. Transform middle lines down half diameter of ball
    10. Chain transformed lines

Hopefully I got all the steps.

what a pain in the ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_St View Post
    I have used this sequence for deburring with a ball endmill only so far but it should work for any size chamfer/edge break.

Easiest way I found was to:
    1. Fillet edge of solid to whatever size you need - I usually do a .005 radius
    2. Create a surface on the new fillet(s)
    3. Offset surface half diameter of ball endmill
    4. Create curve flowline (I think)
    5. On ribbon bar, select number
    6. Enter 3
    7. Select surfaces one at a time
    8. Lines need to be going in line with surface, not across them - flip if necessary
    9. Transform middle lines down half diameter of ball
    10. Chain transformed lines

Hopefully I got all the steps.
    i'll try and confirm all the steps you wrote above by weeks end. nice to see someone take the time and document this. good job!

Before I would do that much work I would use the Wirepaths then use Rulled path off the two edge curves from the solid edge.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

3d countour
    use "stock to leave" to offset ur chamfer tool
    Beaware of the path u choose.
    If ur driving from the bottom of the chamfer ur calculation will be different than if ur driving the top of the chamfer. ie Bottom path "floor" 0 "wall" -, Top "floor" - & "wall" 0. The other thing to consider is that ur going to want to hang the chamfer tool over both edges to avoid flat spots.
    Still not ideal but it works for me.banana: