586,967 active members*
2,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Inches, how can you live in stoneage?
Page 1 of 4 123

Inches, how can you live in stoneage?

Using inch? I live in Sweden, and we use the metric system.
    Never mind the topic, i just wanna interest you, but i think that the metric system is far better. :banana:

Motivate why you still use the old system.
    Are your country converting? I know that England is.

Oh, you're so advanced.

Let us all bow down to you and give you homage.

While you are debating that, English should be the only language too. And you should have to pay your own way. Glad that is all settled.:banana:

Cause the old farts resisted changing it back in the late 70s when I think it was carter wanted to. And it's stone, with an e.

Still no motivation?
    I know, obviously you get your job done in good manner, and
    thats impressive.

The temperature was just increased by 2 degrees Celsius. How many degrees F was that?

1 meter is how far light traveled in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
    Wow. That makes a meter far, far superior.... /sarc off

The U.S. put a man on the moon in 1969. The vast majority of components manufactured to do this were made in inches. Using machines and measuring tools graduated in inches.

Today, we're putting people in space using both inches and meters. I don't care what units I work in, as long as my tools don't require me to make constant conversions (like students and researchers who bring me crap to build with metric drawings....AFTER THEY'VE BEEN TOLD THAT ALL MY GODDDAMN EQUIPMENT IS IN INCHES...... you bring me metric drawings? buy me metric machines, or YOU do the conversions so I don't get blamed for conversion/rounding errors)

If using the metric system somehow makes you feel superior, wonderful. Pat yourself on the back, go have a beer and jack off. Don't forget that gold star on your forehead.

I work with both interchangably and sometimes use both on a single part. I don't really see what the big deal is. Every metric value has an inch equivalent and vice versa.

Matt

Sensitive isnt it?
    I am not superior. As i see it, i just think that it inches makes things
    more difficult.
    And still not mutch of motivation here.

It's all about what you are used to. I can look at a bolt and tell you metric or inch pretty much every time. I still have to convert mm to inches to see how big the rc airplane is I'm going to buy. Yes, some things are easier in metric, but when you have spent your whole life in inches, it's much easier. I wished we would have switched, but there were people taking advantage of people during the proposed switch. This was during the gas crunch, late 70s. I was fairly young, but i remember my mother pulling in to a gas station, and wondering why the gas was cheaper than the other stations. Well, we found out rather quickly, it was the only station on that corner selling fuel by the liter. Ended up almost 30 cents a gallon more. Remember, gas was only about a buck a gallon then.

I was educated to work on both systems and don't have a preference, but don't like to mix them. My machine tools are graduated in inches and most of my tools are in both metric and standard (yes, double set of tools).

I think that any machinist could easily work on any system if they have to. CNC machines make even easier the job. The only real drawback to live in a country with both systems is that you have to invest more money in tools.

Thinking in "centimeters" or "inches" doesn't make anybody more or less smart and at the end of the road the important thing is how much one made today, money is not measured in either of those units...

Best regards,

kreutz

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    It's all about what you are used to. I can look at a bolt and tell you metric or inch pretty much every time. I still have to convert mm to inches to see how big the rc airplane is I'm going to buy. Yes, some things are easier in metric, but when you have spent your whole life in inches, it's much easier. I wished we would have switched, but there were people taking advantage of people during the proposed switch. This was during the gas crunch, late 70s. I was fairly young, but i remember my mother pulling in to a gas station, and wondering why the gas was cheaper than the other stations. Well, we found out rather quickly, it was the only station on that corner selling fuel by the liter. Ended up almost 30 cents a gallon more. Remember, gas was only about a buck a gallon then.
    Well, i see we both share rc as a hobby.

Dont take my topic to seriosly as some does,

But a unified system vould be superior.
    "Imperial" or metric? I say metric.

I'm good with either, as long as its not that old British "metric".

I'm good with either, as long as its not that old British "metric".
    Haha!

At least in Chemical Engineering, it was a lot easier for us to convert everything from inches to meters, do the calculations, and then back to the local units for local use.

I am pretty comfortable with either system even on an everyday use except for temperature (C just does not seem natural / intuitive for me vs F) and pressure.

Honestly, my main "wish" for the metric system is that the words were shorter. For instance "inch" is one syllable, but the equivalent unit "centimeter" has 4 syllables. This goes on and on through the system.

Give us some everyday abreviated ways to say the units and it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    While you are debating that, English should be the only language too. And you should have to pay your own way. Glad that is all settled.:banana:
    I know this thread is in fun, but just so you know, I have been in Sweden, and at least in the Malmo area, pretty much everyone could speak pretty reasonable English, and unlike many countries, the typical TV shows were in English as well.

Very beautiful Country, the plant life reminded me of the US Pacific NW.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders6612 View Post
    Well, i see we both share rc as a hobby.

Dont take my topic to seriosly as some does,

But a unified system vould be superior.
    "Imperial" or metric? I say metric.
    YOU were the one that suggested those of us using the old British system are living in the 'STONE AGE', implying directly your superiority.

I was around way back when and remember quite vividly the "official" pronouncement that we were going metric in 1975. Ain't my fault it didn't happen, I'm just along for the ride.

We kept getting prints in inches, tools and materials in inches, and the machines we could economically buy were in inches.

So tell me, if you were in our shoes, would you be selling your machines at a significant loss and buying inch eqpt simply because someone tells you it's "better"??

(btw, I group my 10mm and 7.62 using inches. I don't think it matters to the guy on the receiving end.....)

I don't have metric handy...

From the tip to the distal interphalangeal joint of my index finger is 1".
    From the tip of my index finger to my wrist joint is 8".
    The width of my 4 fingers is 3".
    The span of my hand, that is stretched thumb tip to pinkie tip, is 9".

I can also use my hand to determine the doneness of a steak. Pick up objects which I require. Type this message. Scratch itches. And most importantly,.. communicate non-verbally with fellow commuters.

The length of my foot is 11" giving me a 12" shoe and the ability to measure feet by walking.

What's metric done for you lately?

If you think changing to metric in the US is a contentious topic you should hear how they go on about changing the appearance of their paper currency.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    If you think changing to metric in the US is a contentious topic you should hear how they go on about changing the appearance of their paper currency.
    6"x2",...

It's all about what you are used to. I can look at a bolt and tell you metric or inch pretty much every time....
    5/16-24 vs. M8x1.0

That one will get ya for sure.

Matt

Page 1 of 4 123