586,127 active members*
3,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Break away torch . How do I get it to turn off the torch

Break away torch . How do I get it to turn off the torch

Hello,

I just finished installing Snap N Cut breakaway torch mount and it works great. I also installed a limit switch to detect a breakaway. The limit switch is tied to The Table Io Board on the MP1000 from candcnc. It activates the feedhold ok when the torch breaks away and stops the machine. How do I also get it to turn off the torch? It would also be nice to have it activate the relay that is on the table Io card so I can sound a buzzer that the table needs attention
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by AustinT View Post
    Hello,

I just finished installing Snap N Cut breakaway torch mount and it works great. I also installed a limit switch to detect a breakaway. The limit switch is tied to The Table Io Board on the MP1000 from candcnc. It activates the feedhold ok when the torch breaks away and stops the machine. How do I also get it to turn off the torch? It would also be nice to have it activate the relay that is on the table Io card so I can sound a buzzer that the table needs attention
    Thank You
    Which input on the card? To get it so the unit turns off the torch AND stops motion you have to put MACH into RESET. There are several ways to do that:
    Make the break away swtich NC (Normally closed) and replace the EPO jumper with the two switch wires.

Give it a dedicated input and make it a true LIMIT in MACH (++ or --)

You don't want a feedhold or to use the feedhold input//// You need TRUE limit or E_STOP that turns off all of the outputs. You may lose position but that is the least of your problems of the torch has hit something and broken off!

We solved our problem in our cutting shop without a breakaway fixture. I fired the last guy that damaged a torch and magically there has not been another incident in over two years!

TOMcaudle
    www.candcnc.com

Hi Tom

I am using the feedhold on the card. I really didn't want to loose my spot because some of the artwork is worth the price of the torch. I know the feedhold decelerates the torch so that no steps are lost. Does the program actually go to the next line of code? For example if the machine was moving a couple of feet in one direction and the feedhold was activated would it continue to the end of the line? Your Torch height controller works Great Tom, This is one of the original THC, I can only imagine how awesome the new digital THC's are . Thank you

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Which input on the card? To get it so the unit turns off the torch AND stops motion you have to put MACH into RESET. There are several ways to do that:
    Make the break away swtich NC (Normally closed) and replace the EPO jumper with the two switch wires.

Give it a dedicated input and make it a true LIMIT in MACH (++ or --)

You don't want a feedhold or to use the feedhold input//// You need TRUE limit or E_STOP that turns off all of the outputs. You may lose position but that is the least of your problems of the torch has hit something and broken off!

We solved our problem in our cutting shop without a breakaway fixture. I fired the last guy that damaged a torch and magically there has not been another incident in over two years!

TOMcaudle
    www.candcnc.com

That cracks me up Tom.
    I can imagine the guys will pay 'special attention' after that episode.....(chair)

Quote Originally Posted by Benderart View Post
    That cracks me up Tom.
    I can imagine the guys will pay 'special attention' after that episode.....(chair)
    You can't fix stupid but you can get rid of it!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinT View Post
    Hi Tom

I am using the feedhold on the card. I really didn't want to loose my spot because some of the artwork is worth the price of the torch. I know the feedhold decelerates the torch so that no steps are lost. Does the program actually go to the next line of code? For example if the machine was moving a couple of feet in one direction and the feedhold was activated would it continue to the end of the line? Your Torch height controller works Great Tom, This is one of the original THC, I can only imagine how awesome the new digital THC's are . Thank you
    Feedhold runs to the end of the code buffer. It can travel a distance before it stops. There may be a way to turn of the spindle (torch) on a feedhold in MACH but it does not continue to read lines so you could not do anything in code.

If you have Homes and always cut from TABLE zero (not work zero) than you can always find and restart a cut.