587,275 active members*
3,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofitting an Anilan equipped lathe

I'm ready to ditch the Anilan Crusader IIL on my CNC lathe and leap to PC control. Moreover, I'd prefer to keep the existing analog servos and limit switches. I've narrowed selection to;

1. FlashCut CNC - $5k quote is a bit more than I want to spend.
    2. LinuxCNC - I'm no Linux guru - though it and K/Flop seems to be a good way to go to maintain use of servos versus steppers. Moreover, while I'm no stranger to computers, the facts are I really don't want to tackle a new OS as well as a retrofit plus learning new controller software because I believe that's a lot to chew.
    3. Mach 3 - lots of support, but I am loathe to give up servos for steppers, and time is precious and there is a baffling number of components to do the job. Moreover, despite the low cost of the controller software, I wonder if I don't get into FlashCut CNC territory cost wise before I am done.

Anyway, besides the coolant pump and an Intertec oiler, the lathe is equipped with a 6-tool turret and a remote-sump oil pump/cooler (for the gearbox). Fortunately, I already run the 7.5 hp 3-phase motor through a VFD (so controlling speed should be easy enough).

I would very much appreciate guidance from folks more versed because in this horrible economy a) I cannot afford to make a mistake, and b) I also cannot afford to have the machine down for an extended period of time.

Servo specs off the data plates (manufactured by SEM) are as follows:

X-axis analog servo
    Class F 25°C
    Max Current: Continuous 5.8A, Peak 30A
    RPM 2400
    Max Voltage 140VDC
    Torque Stall 3NM continuous
    Model # FMD0000B-00
    Part# 37000116
    Serial# 1167

Z-axis analog servo
    Tye MT30M4-59
    Serial # 32476
    Constant Stall Torque 3 N-M
    Max RPM 2400
    Volts 140VDC
    Pulse 30A
    Tacho 9.5 Volts/1000 RPM
    Insul F
    D89-83244

Last thing, does anyone know if I can get a postprocessor for BobCAM to run FlashCut CNC? I'm pretty sure there's one for Mach 3 (long holiday weekend and I am curious as that's what I have).

In closing, we've all been newbies at one timeor other . . . it's my turn (again). I would be most greatful for advice and counsel.

Regards,

give ajaxcnc a look

Bought a Ajax for work. They have a Mach plug in so you can still use servos with Mach.

I've learned the servo motors have a tach and the encoder feedback, which are separately mounted (and they're driven by a cogged tooth belt).

If using modern drives, you can disconnect the Tach's, What is the resolution of the encoders?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

1. Encoders? 625 line count quadature.

2. Meanwhile, I found the schematics! They were buried in the power cabinet. Anyway, at 11x17, they're too big for my scanner. As soon as I can get them into digital format it should become easier to collectively figure things out.

3. Regarding CSS (constant surface speed), does anyone know if that's a function of controller software (FlashCut CNC, Mach 3, or Linux CNC), or the accomplished in the BOB, or . . . ? One hardware vendor said they don't do it but it should not be too hard to make happen and offered to work with me. This leads me to think it happens in the cntroller hardware but I figure best to ask others (a knowledgeable machinist friend seems to feel it's important and that the VFD can vary spindle RPMS to accomplish it). I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
    1. Encoders? 625 line count quadrature.
    So that is 2500c/rev after x4?

3. Regarding CSS (constant surface speed), does anyone know if that's a function of controller software (FlashCut CNC, Mach 3, or Linux CNC), or the accomplished in the BOB, or . . . ? One hardware vendor said they don't do it but it should not be too hard to make happen and offered to work with me. This leads me to think it happens in the controller hardware but I figure best to ask others (a knowledgeable machinist friend seems to feel it's important and that the VFD can vary spindle RPMS to accomplish it). I dunno.

Constant surface feed normally requires synchronization between the X axis position encoder and rpm feedback indication from the spindle or some accurate way of controlling spindle rpm WRT to the X axis.
    Al.

Albert E.

OK, since the spindle has an encoder and the lathe runs on VFD, then CSS may be doable. I will investigate further. Is it unusual to desire this, or is it pretty much standard stuff in the CNC lathe world?

Getting this lathe going has been something of a two steps forward one step back process. Making matters worse, I am not a professional machinist so I don't really know what I am doing. Fortunately, I am mechanically 'ept' and thus, I can more or less fake the rest.

Anyway, the first issue was getting the 6-tool turret itself to move around on the ways. This turned out to be a stuck limit switch and once I opened them up and cleaned them with spray contact cleaner and shop air all was good and thus, I soon had the Z-axis and X-axis servos movig the turret (being a CNC lathe there are no hand wheels so it's much like a DRO with buttons to make the turret move).

Unfortunately nothing I did would make the spindle start and worse, the Spindle Off light was illuminated. Anyway, today I got this figured out (turned out to have been something my dumb ass did wrong) and thus, I now have the spindle running too.

Hence, as soon as I get the tool changer itself working I'll have a semi-operational lathe! Albeit with an antique controller instead of a PC-based controller, which is better than a sharp stick in the eye by a long shot.

Background - when I connected the oil cooler motor within the power cabinet, the three black motor wires, which were not labeled but had been taped with packing tape in the correct order by the seller had slipped out of order due to a little bit of oil on the insulation. Anyway, when I fired up the lathe and the pump came on I didn't think further about it, e.g. wonder if the motor was reversed . . . but I soon did.

This was because the oil sump overflowed and spilled oil on the floor. As I cleaned it up I wondered why and soon got to thinking perhaps it was because the pump motor was running backwards. This would explain what happened since the pump would be evacuating the oil from the gearbox (instead of putting oil into the gearbox so gravity would lead it to drain back). Anyway, this would explain too much oil in the sump because otherwise, there is always some oil in the various lines and within the gearbox itself and where else could too much oil have come from? Moreover, this would also explain the Spindle Off light because there's an oil pressure switch in the system, which prevents the spindle from running when there is no oil pressure.

To test my theory, this morning I pulled the high side oil hose and put the end into a 2-litle Coke bottle. Sure enough, no oil was flowing and instead, air bubbles were coming up inside the sump. Once I reversed a pair of pump-motor leads (3-phase so switching any two black wires reversed the motor) the oil flowed into the Coke bottle just like it was supposed to. Once I plumbed it back, and with oil building pressure, the Spindle Off light went dark. Presto, now I could start the spindle - yippee!

Next I have to figure out why the turret itself isn't rotating to change tools. If I get this worked out I'll have the basic lathe operational. FWIW, there is a yellow push-button (to the left of the row of spindle switches/buttons) marked Tool. Unfortunately, nothing happens when I press it. I have lathe schematics as well as tool changer schematics for anybody who cares to review them and subsequently share their thoughts.

Frankly, I'll be tickled if I get the tool changer working because with the lathe operational at least I can make something . . . even if it's not under computer numeric control yet. I am very much looking forward to this last, I assure you!

Meanwhile, Lynn got BobCAM installed and working on the lathe computer without error messages today as well (she's a smart gal my wife). All in all, a rather productive day.

Cheers,

back).
    Next I have to figure out why the turret itself isn't rotating to change tools. If I get this worked out I'll have the basic lathe operational. FWIW, there is a yellow push-button (to the left of the row of spindle switches/buttons) marked Tool. Unfortunately, nothing happens when I press it. I have lathe schematics as well as tool changer schematics for anybody who cares to review them and subsequently share their thoughts.
    Cheers,
    It would help to post the tool turret schematics, is there any make/model on it?
    Al.

Albert E.

1. I forgot to respond . . . yes, after1 full revolution we will see 2500 pulses to the counter board.

2. Yes, I have a PDF for the turret. It's in two parts and I have uiploaded both as well as a couple of photos.

Finally, in a separate post I will upload the lathe schematics to circumvent file size limits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mandy's turret 1.jpg   Mandy's turret 0.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have worked on Baruffaldi turrets before, not quite like this one but similar, they can get very fussy to set up.
    The PDF shows a simple 4 bit binary encoder and using 12 combinations for the turret positions?
    Also a small 3ph motor used to increment the turret.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes, some of this model hold up to 12 tools but this particular model is for 6 tools instead.