586,307 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Cutting Hpl samples

I took on cutting Hpl samples for a local distributor on my CNC router, sourced a diamond bit, 8mm, which cuts okay, I started with A5 samples (about 190 x 140mm) so they were large enough that the vacuum held them in place.
    Now I have started cutting the small samples, I have resorted to leaving tabs on them to hold them in place, HELP, this is a. Not really getting a good result and B. there are 900 pieces per sheet.
    The samples are about 65mm x 40mm with a hole at one end and radiused corners.
    Can anyone out there offer some advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Is my CNC router the machine for this or is there a better way?

Looking at the racks of samples hanging on our wall, they're definitely not routed. It looks like they were stamped or punched.
    If you must route, I'd probably make a jig with threaded inserts. Drill the holes first, then bolt down to the fixture and cut. That way you won't need tabs. But you'll need to cut the full sheets down to smaller pieces to fit your jig. Make two jigs, so you can unload and reload while one is cutting.

Laminate is incredibly hard on tooling. How long does your diamond bit last?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Where did you purchase your PCD bit from?

900 is a lot of chips! You might want to look into having them laser-cut if possible...

It would probably be easier to cut the chips on a tablesaw, then stack them on edge, clamp, and run a roundover bit on the edge of the stack.

If anyone can enlighten me on other methods that can be used it would be appreciated ie Stamping/punching or lazer.
    Then there is the printing, at this stage I am applying labels, but want to know how to print onto the back. (Actually my kids are applying the labels!)

I am based in New Zealand and have a couple of local suppliers of pcd bits...not the cheapest at $280 ish, but has now cut around 15 sheets and still good as new!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter007 View Post
    If anyone can enlighten me on other methods that can be used it would be appreciated ie Stamping/punching or lazer.
    Then there is the printing, at this stage I am applying labels, but want to know how to print onto the back. (Actually my kids are applying the labels!)

I am based in New Zealand and have a couple of local suppliers of pcd bits...not the cheapest at $280 ish, but has now cut around 15 sheets and still good as new!
    You can try silkscreening the info if it's not too much. Iron-on transfer paper might work as well; I've done it on wood with good results.

I had been fortunate to purchase PCD endmills very inexpensively on eBay, good brands as well (Onsrud, Exactaform, RobbJack.) I have a client that needs a lot of G10 cut, and the bits don't have any sign of wearing...