586,371 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Proper size blower for Epilog Legend 36 EX120 or ULS PLS6.150?

Proper size blower for Epilog Legend 36 EX120 or ULS PLS6.150?

My workshop- has seen many significant delays. But I am finally making a decision on my new laser. It's down to the Epilog Legend 36 EX 120w or the Universal Laser PLS6.150D. I have not gotten feedback from Universal yet, but Epilog recommends a really small fan for such a large box.
    1.5HP DC3 Portable Dust Collector Motor Blower (no bag or hose) at Penn State Industries

What make and model fans are people using with these larger machines? I have tried googling for info but it's practically impossible to get anything useful.

The Universal specs this.
    Two 4 in (102 mm) ports
    500 CFM @ 6 in static pressure
    (850 m3/hr at 1.5 kPa)

The Epilog specs this.
    Two output ports, each 6" in diameter.
    No published fan spec, but the recommended fan is:
    850cfm @ 8.5"

I have read, and read, and read... Some say the fan recommended by Epilog is great, some say it is a joke. I have my M300's sucking so hard the doors are hard to open. So with the non protected mirrors on the Epilog I think the fans need to really pull hard to keep them clean. Of course with the Universals air on the optics system the blower wouldn't need to work as hard.

Anyway, what's your experience with laser fans?

I don't think you read the Epilog fan specs correctly... it's not rated 850cfm @ 8.5"
    Rather, it max's out at 850cfm at some unknown (probably low) SP, and can also max out at 8.5" at an unknown (probably low) CFM

I've used Grizzly dust collectors quite a bit, a 3HP unit can handle 2 or 3 lasers and a fair length of ductwork - just discard the framework and filters (or give them to a woodworker friend)
    The only downside to oversizing, is that lightweight items may not stay put on the laser bed - best arrangement would be a 3ph blower and variable speed control, but that's a little excessive for most people - a manual blast gate can do most of that as well.

You can pick up that same blower at other places for less than half that price!

I have an ILS-3 which is an old epilog knock off. I have an unused 800 CFM dust collector running through that and it worked great. It never lifts the paper at all.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver