586,675 active members*
3,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Engraving and lost steps...
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs555
    so theoretically, using the same power supply and driver, the maximum speed of the full winding connection would be half the speed of the half winding connection. If your drives will handle it, you can get back this speed by doubling the supply voltage.
    All the lower cost drives are based on chips that can handle only 30-40 volts. With such a low value, with most 200+ in-oz motors, the torq drops off very rapidly as the speed increases.

A look at the torques on the automation direct steppers clearly show that 32v is not enough to realize the full potential of the motors. The big 434 in-oz one barely edged out the 166 in-oz one when it came to output power.

I expect that if the inductance was increased, the problem would be even worse.

Well, ain't so bad at 40v but I'm looking to bring it to 72vDC or so. It shows the new motors are 5.8v instead of 3.9.

Those are small motors and a clunky tough accurate machine so I better lookout for better leadnuts before I go to higher voltages. Constant velocity really fixed most of my speed issues with engraving.

Para
    Paraman, Parabeast, Paramachine, Parameter.
    The many in one and the one in the many.

Page 2 of 2 12