586,156 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > New Tormach on the way, not sure how to make this part..

New Tormach on the way, not sure how to make this part..

Hi All. I make some tiny parts for model airplanes on a converted mill drill using solid works for the design and x4 for the cam. I've no trouble with SW, but struggle with MC for anything but simple profiles, pockets and helix bores.

I have a converted mill/drill, but have a new Tormach 4 axis on the way to get a bit more serious on this stuff. My previous method was to use rectangular stock, cutting first the profile, drill the holes, then repositioning to cut the slots, but with my new mill being 4 axis, I'd like to be able to make it in one go using master cam. My part is in Solidworks, but I've not been terribly successful getting the 3d model into master cam (x4) - though I think I have access to X6 at work if that's any better (need to check), and not sure how to program it to cut all the sides using the a axis. In my new version, I'm going to use round stock, pre-drilling the backside hole so that when I cut it off, I'll just have a touch of hand finishing.

Any advice on how to get it to import correctly into master cam from SW2011, and how to program it? Part is only 1" long. probably a .250 or so cutter to cut the flats and profile it, and a 1/8" cutter for the top and bottom slots (do full depth slot first, then the secondary slots top and bottom)

If somebody is willing to guide this noob, I could post up the 3d model somewhere. If I can figure out this one part, I should be able to figure out pretty much anything I want to make after that. The end drilled hole will be done on the lathe when I cut and face the material. I'll have .500 to hold onto-predrilled, and the rest hanging out to finish. I'll also cut a relief for the last cut which will part it off using a 1/8" cutter. For scale, the two small holes are .047 and .063, and it will take at least 3 cutters - 1/4", 1/8" flat (slot width) ,and 1/8" ball nose for the side cuts.

LOL

Attach your solid file to this thread. Then maybe someone can step you through it.

Wasn't sure how to attach a file.. but I see it now
    Attached Files Attached Files