586,283 active members*
3,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Possible to transfer license?

Possible to transfer license?

I own 1 seat of Premium 2012.... Looking to hire a designer within a few weeks, and I need a seat of Standard. Recently a local company went out of business, and their assets went to auction. One of their ex-employees purchased most of their software at auction - some Autodesk stuff, RSLogix, and 2 seats of Solidworks with the network license...

He called me and offered to sell me both seats of SW, AutoCAD Electrical, and Inventor at a very good price. I called my AutoDesk reseller, and I can transfer those licenses without issues... But my Solidworks reseller said that they will not transfer the licenses for Solidworks...

Anyone ever try this? Just wondering why folks like AutoDesk and Rockwell will transfer a license, but SW will not.... Kind of sucks...

Thanks!

Try calling a different re-seller and, check out the software license T's & C's to see what you can find.

Please report back as this would be interesting to know.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

I think the only way they will allow transferance of the license is if you bought the 'company'... not sure if you could do that now?

Talk to the original owners, maybe you can buy the name and register it then show the reseller that you own the company and therefore can claim the software came w/ the company? Next 'roll' the company into yours and it disappears and you have the software?

Not sure if it'd work or not..

fwiw

JFG
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)