586,357 active members*
3,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone lasering some furniture?

My place has no furniture, and I hate all the cheap crap that stores sell nowadays. I'm thinking of picking up a kraig jig and lasering up some furniture from some softer wood.

I'm not talking about marking store bought stuff, I'm thinking of cutting pieces and then fastening them all together with the kreig jig.

Has anyone tried making furniture before? Any success?

Hi
    for furniture,maybe cnc router will be better ,we think,if use laser machine ,maybe burn some black,it is not looks good,what to you think?

Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

You are right, the laser will burn the edges of the wood. With the increased air pressure and volume I am using for my air assist I think I have the black markings under control. What little is left can be sanded off with little effort.

A router would be a much better machine for the job, but the laser can cut much more intricate designs. Plus, I already have a laser

laser

Yes a high power air fan will help much,if cutting without fire,then the balck edge will disappear,anyway, hope you have a better working time

Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post
    You are right, the laser will burn the edges of the wood. With the increased air pressure and volume I am using for my air assist I think I have the black markings under control. What little is left can be sanded off with little effort.

A router would be a much better machine for the job, but the laser can cut much more intricate designs. Plus, I already have a laser

Laser-cut wood, will cause the incision carbonization, of course, if you do not mind these can be cut.

How much power does your tube have? I would think that you will need fairly high power in order to be able to cut wood that is thick enough to be used for furniture.

It will be a tough job to make furniture , you should try out some good furniture wood stores, they will provide you the top quality furniture at best. Earlier I have tried making furniture and I was totally exhausted by doing this. So search some good stores near by you and I am sure you will get your furnitture at best.
    furniture stores in ocala fl

To the original poster: Check out Filson and Rohrbacher | AtFAB.

I know this is a late, late reply, but I wanted to say thank you to baksiidaa for that link. That was exactly what I was looking for!

My laser is only 80W, but with the modifications I've done to the air assist I don't seem to have much of a problem cutting 3/4" thick wood.

But, I also have a 5x10' CNC waterjet table and it works exceptionally well at cutting wood fast. Now that I have that thing I'll waterjet the base parts, then laser some cool designs on them.

Thanks again everyone!

Great! I'd be interested in hearing/seeing how things turn out. One of these days we'll finally get our 4'x8' 400W laser hooked up, and I'm looking forward to trying some of these designs.