586,371 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Offset change at turning a axis

Offset change at turning a axis

Hello there
    First of all Sorry for my bad english.
    I have a Haas VF 2 5 axis machine. 3 axis milling is working well. Now i wanted to use a and b axis. My Part is not in the middle of the a axis. So if i turn the a axis the x and y Zero Point is changing. What do i have to change that my Mill knows where my part is after turning a axis ?
    LG mobbbl

is this a VF2 with a Trunnion 160 on the table?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If it is this setup you have to use the center of the two rotary's on this setup as you X,Y,Z home position and Top in your mastercam then define a plane to do 3+2 indexing.
    On the Trunnion it should be in the park between .111 and .140 as they do not differ to much from the factory.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hello cadcam
    Yes it is VF2 with a trunnion table. So if i understand this wright i take the X, y, and z rotary center coordinates and top it in mastercam machine defintion at a, b axis rotary center. The plane i define must have the same x , y, and z coordinates like my rotary center? Please could you explain to me how to make a 3 + 2 indexing?
    Tank you very much
    Mobbbl

It would be very nice if you have a screenshot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobbbl View Post
    Hello cadcam
    Yes it is VF2 with a trunnion table. So if i understand this wright i take the X, y, and z rotary center coordinates and top it in mastercam machine defintion at a, b axis rotary center. The plane i define must have the same x , y, and z coordinates like my rotary center? Please could you explain to me how to make a 3 + 2 indexing?
    Tank you very much
    Mobbbl
    There are 2 methods

1/- place the part to be machined ( in mastercam ) in the same position in respect of the rotational XYZ origin of the machine
    the G54 origin will always be the point of rotation of all machine axes
    - cons - that you have to place the stock in the same place as the part cannot be moved to another position on the table

2/- use of RTCP control (tool point control) ( or a method of recalculating & resetting a new origin within the running program
    - pros - you can program to a known point on the stock, set the G54 origin to that point, the stock could be placed anywhere in the machining zone
    - cons - crashes can occur when a previously proven program is run & the stock placement is different ( on the table ) from the initial setup when it was run.t
    ie stock is X centred at the rear of the table, - has easy access to the back of the part. But next time is placed at the front of the table.....your spindle may hit the table/column ( or tools be too short) when trying to machine those same features

A bit of reading for you
    5-axis machining = terminology etc
    COE : Forums : Fanuc 16m using RTCP G43.1 ( might be of assistance )
    B Axis Turning – A recent and welcomed possibility | CAMZone

I am sorry a picture of what sir?

Superman you think that op2 will work with this configuration and control.
    And your last link is regards to say a Mazak intrgrex that is lathe and 5axis configuration I do not think you can do that on this setup. just a thought but is cool reading.
    Cadcam

Hi
    A screenshot from 3 + 2 indexing.
    Thanks mobbbl

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Superman you think that op2 will work with this configuration and control.
    And your last link is regards to say a Mazak intrgrex that is lathe and 5axis configuration I do not think you can do that on this setup. just a thought but is cool reading.
    Op2 ?? - really depends on what features are left to be machined

typically, you would try to program it so the remaining ops are easier to setup & machine and not require a complex machine to do it with ( read this as only needing a 3-axis or a 3+1 operation to complete the part )

as for the last link,
    - it was for the RTCP references about 1/4 of the way down

- & I have worked on a Mill/Turn 5ax that was on a trunnion ( OKUMA MU-500 ) table was a Ø500mm plus we had a smaller one that was only a 5ax machine (MU-400). both a real b$tch when programming using method 1, hard to get machining to blend in together.

Plus I programmed for a DMG (DMC-80FD) mill/turn that had a nutating head ( Milplus control ),,,now, this machine was complex & had it's own Tool point control built in

for the Okuma's,
    we ended up having to run a program that maps & updates the "swing point" at regular intervals - or after "a knock"
    &
    having a library file for re-mapping the origin "shift amount" when machining using 3 + 2 positioning---automatically called up when our running program did any rotational re-positioning ( this involved a machine option called "Fixture Offset"

We were progamming our origins to the stock, so we were able to place the stock anywhere within the machining area ( NOTE--- the tool setters & operators were told in which area it was to be placed, so that tooling is used to it's best advantage-short as possible....we also used Vericut that guaranteed NO CRASHES - that system is veerry expensive to purchase and involves a lot of training. but when Vericut was used ...any crashes ended up being the result of operator or toolsetter errors )

Hello Superman
    First i will try method 1 and i think this will work. Thanks for your reply!
    Mobbbl

Hello Superman
    thanks for these links . They are very interesting for me !!!
    mobbbl